Close

MP select mini popping at extruded when feeding filament during prints or manual feed

New printer with less than 10 hours use. When printing, the printer starts popping at the Extruded and the item does not appear to have enough filament and the filament appears to glob at the nozzle.

I stopped the print, raised the print head, made sure the hot end was at 210c, and used the control display to manually extrude. It it seems to of gotten better.

using 200c hot end and 60c bed with pla. Should I print at a higher temp?
    printer is the $200 monoprice select mini.

Engineer-in-Training
    Popping usually indicates that the filament needs drying. When extuding, is the extruded filament smooth or rough when you run it (cooled) between your fingers?

Sorry. What I meant was the extruder side popped, like it is slipping or can't push the filament.

The hot end is near the bed, I did not hear popping there.

Hold the filament as it is feeding into the extruder. Bet you'll find that it's not feeding steadily but pulsing back and forth. The stepper motor is skipping steps because it does not have enough power to push the filament. Stuff to check for (in order of likelihood, in my opinion):
    1. How fast are you printing? The Di3 realistically prints at 40mm/s (3600 mm/min) and not much faster
    2. It could be temperature. My Di3 seems to read cold and I have to print at the top end of the temp ranges or even a bit higher. More so with the MicroSwiss all metal hot end.
    3. Nozzle may be clogged, Search "Atomic Pull"
    4. PTFE liner may be restricted. replace with spare ptfe (And get a few feet of spare tubing) And why I have an all metal hotend.
    5. Unfortunately, the newer models come with an extruder stepper that is barely up to the task. It can be replaced with code 17HS3001-20B stepper. Check out the Wanhao Google group for more details. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wanhao-printer-3d/

The accumulated knowledge of the Wanhao gurus can be found on the wiki
    http://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-duplicator-i3/