Close

fishing lure molds

Hi
    I am new to 3D printing and I was wondering if I could get some help? I am trying to find a good program to design a custom lure mold but it has to be a free program. I have been trying to use sketch up but I can't quite figure it out. Can someone please help me?

/

Staff Engineer
    Sketchup is one of the simplest programs out there. There are other free programs available, but they are all more difficult to learn, although they might work better with a printer. Why do you need to do this digitally anyway? You can make a lure model by hand, take a rubber mold from it, and cast as many as you want. That's going to be cheaper than 3D printing, and probably will work better too.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Why do you need to do this digitally anyway? You can make a lure model by hand, take a rubber mold from it, and cast as many as you want.
    Maybe its a good thing to BS with your fishing buddies in the boat while waiting for a fish to bite on your lure. And if you keep getting hits on your 3D printed lure while they are waiting for something to hit their bait... You might offer to print them the same lure you are using...

I think there is a lot of possibilities here. My dad used to fish for Pike. He loved Daredevils and Lazy Ikes. I bet you wouldn't even need to do the whole lure. I bet you could make a little nose cone that slipped over the front of the lure and made it wiggle different. If it worked... You could be the hero of your local fishing club. Technology is fun!!!!
    Last edited by Roxy; 11-28-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob beahr View Post
    Hi
    I am new to 3D printing and I was wondering if I could get some help? I am trying to find a good program to design a custom lure mold but it has to be a free program. I have been trying to use sketch up but I can't quite figure it out. Can someone please help me?
    /
    Blender offers tutorials with their program and exports to .stl (common print format). I used to be a 3dsMax guy, but paying 2.5k a year for the program sucks, so Blender was my next move.

Staff Engineer
    If this person can't figure out how to use Sketchup, there's no way they'll master Blender, which has about the most baffling interface of any modeling program I've seen.