Close

Engineer

3D Printed Multicopter Drone

I believe I may have posted another 3d printed multicopter in the past, but this thing is the real deal. A 17 year old college kid printed this out. He designed it in Solidworks. It is printed with ABS on a Stratasys Dimension 3D Printer. Yes that's a real deal professional printer.

The Multicopter can fly for up to 30 minutes at a time, up to 3 miles away and is fully autonomous. It also feature a video camera which can transfer back a live feed during flight It took him 4 months to complete this project.

Name: Epiphany 3.0:

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    That is impressive, but for me he loses a few marks for using carbonfibre arms. After now printing close to 12 different quad/hex/tricopters on my 3d printer, the #1 challenge in every single one of them has been both strength and warping of the arms, which generally take up the whole print bed, that being said looking at his design there doesnt seem to be anything there we couldn't print on a consumer 3d printer? I mean nothing there seems terribly large, he is using DJI2212 motors, and on that particular model he is using 8" DJI props, and the OPTO 30A speed controllers sort of tell me he got a DJI F550 kit and used the parts from that, which was smart because they are top gear, and on a replicator2 you can make a DJIF550 equivalent frame, including arms.. so yeah being critical, nice build but minus for the carbon