Close

Printed product finishing details - polishing, painting etc. like in this video

Hi Everyone!

First of all hello to you - it's my first post on this forum.

I'm thinking about printing some fashion oriented, customized products but so far I've noticed in many cases (depending on printer) the printouts are not "client ready".

I've found this video of sunglasses production process. Can you guys have a look and give me some details on what exactly is being done in the process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_Dm4NvTd0

Precisely I'm interested in:
    - What is the best material for such wearable products? I'm also thinking about frames.
    - What is used to polish those frames exactly? Can you maybe provide me with name of the product (those little polishing stones/cubes) or examples of manufacturers? (50th sec. of video)
    - How are the frames painted/coloured? What kind of dye or pigment is it? (video 1:00-1:15 ) Also why and how exactly are they heated in this oven like machine (1:18)

Thanks a lot for all the helpful answers!
    Michael

P.S. It's not supposed to be an ad of those sunglasses - I guess most of you have seen it so far anyway.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The glasses are made from laser sintered nylon.

The cheapest desktop sintered nylon machine is around $5000 (more with shipping and tax)

Nylon probably isn't your best choice for jewellery :-)

To answer your questions.

best material is not going to be nylon. For fdm desktop printer, there are any number of materials you could use. Abs is popular as you can smooth it easily with acetone fumes. Pla is also good as it comes in many different varieties including flexible.

the frames are being polished with stones, nothing special. these just take the wispy bits off that you always get with any kind of nylon printing.

Nylon is easiest coloured by standard cloth/textile dyes.

Post printing heating can make a number of materials stronger, usually shrinks them slightly as well.

If you plan on making your own wearables - this probably isn't the best way for you to go, unless you plan on significant investment - but it's doubtful anyone will pay a lot of money for nylon products.