Close

Siam Cement Group Makes 3D Printable Material

Thai cement maker Siam Cement Group (SCG) developed an amazing new cement that is mixed with a special combination of powder materials and fibers that allow it to quickly be printed into nontraditional shapes. It binds quickly enough that it can be printed with dramatic curves and twists, and it can remain freestanding while drying without the need for support material. SCG used their new formula to 3D print six structural beams that essentially mimic the anatomy of a bone. They were used to build a structure designed by Thai architect Pitupong Chaowakul called “Y-Box Pavilion 21st-century Cave", which is Southeast Asia's first 3D printed structure. You can read more over on 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/131560/scg-3d-printable-cement/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Thai cement maker Siam Cement Group (SCG) developed an amazing new cement that is mixed with a special combination of powder materials and fibers that allow it to quickly be printed into nontraditional shapes. It binds quickly enough that it can be printed with dramatic curves and twists, and it can remain freestanding while drying without the need for support material. SCG used their new formula to 3D print six structural beams that essentially mimic the anatomy of a bone. They were used to build a structure designed by Thai architect Pitupong Chaowakul called “Y-Box Pavilion 21st-century Cave", which is Southeast Asia's first 3D printed structure. You can read more over on 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/131560/scg-3d-printable-cement/
    I'm surprised this is so expensive still. I thought the WinSun company was doing it for alot cheaper.

Staff Engineer
    Last I heard, they were working with Ron Rael, the UC Berkeley professor and principal at Emerging Objects, who was helping them develop a 3D printing powder capable of making large modular structures in return for some sponsorship. They took his "Bloom" pavillion to Thailand and set it up there. It looks like this new project was made using a concrete extruder, which is a different process. I wonder why it was so expensive too, unless they were including the price of the printer they had to build. Concrete's not that costly a material, even if you buy the high-priced spread...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com