Close

Engineer-in-Training

Don't use printer when it's raining and warm?

I have PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer, BuildTak surface, and Simplify3D. It was raining and warm this morning and I was able to break objects that I printed using PLA with the following settings:

Extruder temp: 210
    Build Platform: 60
    100% interior infill
    50% outline overlap

I broke them trying to remove supports from the objects. Any suggestions?

Engineer-in-Training
    I have Hygrometer which reads about 31 and I saw an Eva-Dry Mini-DeHumidifier at a neighbor's house. Will the Eva-Dry Mini-DeHumidifier work inside the plastic storage box used for storing filaments?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    100% interior infill
    50% outline overlap
    ... To be honest, I'm more astonished at the fact that you're not having problems with these settings than by the fact that you broke the part while removing it.

50% overlap is a LOT and when cumulated with 100% infill... wow. You must've had a lot of overfill no ? The perimethers are probably a bit messed up.

Now, I know this is contrary to general assumption, but you would probably get a part as resistant or better by having much less infill. Failures propagate better in 100% infill material. I usually get good results with 20% overlap and 30% infill. Sometimes as little as 15% infill depending on what I do.

Now, regarding your initial question on the impact of the weather. Did you notice ssmoke coming out of the nozzle while printing ? If so, that means your PLA is soaked with humidity. This usually leads to blurps in the nozzle and holes in your print. If you didn't notice that, then probably no issue.

Engineer-in-Training
    I usually use 25% infill and 25% overlap. What about parts that need to be strong such as gears?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    for adding strength to things increase the number of shells and layers.
    Adding more infill doesn't really make that much difference.
    The higher the infill the less flex the part has and the greater the inclination to crack or break.

I have no comment on the overlap - It's whatever s3d comes with - never changed it or had any desire to find out what it does :-)

For super strong parts I tend to use 5 shells and layers, and 25% infill, For most things I use 3 shells and layers and 10-15% infill.
    I've tried all the simplify3d infill patterns and I reckon the triangular infill gives the best overall reinforcement with minimal plastic usage and is much easier on the printer than the other patterns.

Adding extra shells and layers gives strength without using a lot more filament.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I pretty much print everything now at about %10 infil, it all depends on how flat I need the top surface of my print, if there is only 2 or 3 horizontal shells and you are printing at 5% infill it sometimes isn't enough to get a solid top.

2 Shells is pretty much standard, I find 3 shells can be too much and cause rise even with cooling fans, 1 shell is too thin at 0.1mm, so 2 for sure.

Agree with curious, add more shells, less infill. If you are printing with your settings as you are now, it's like you are making the printer work alot harder than it needs to to print the object, even %50 infill is huge in my books, I rarely go over 25%
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com