Close

Ira3D Offers New Chrome Electroplating Process

Ira3D certainly hasn’t missed a beat this year, keeping the momentum pumping with new 3D printing solution, filaments—and now, a method for electroplating products with chrome. This should prove to be a very popular new option considering how many users are delving into casting with metals on their own. The young Italian company sees this as a specialized method that should appeal to many users in niche markets who not only want to add aesthetics to their 3D models but also enhance them aesthetically with the elegance and shine of chrome. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/130695/ira3d-new-chrome-plating/

There is not a single word in the article or on their website (but perhaps I missed it ?) as to how this is done. A separate machine, a new material, a paint spray, a magic gizmo... ? The service or product is not even on offer on their website.

What is the added value of such an article ? Yes, it is written that it is a sponsored article so that should have been a warning. And in a sponsored article the advertising is expected ... but still I hoped for useful information.

Electrolytic plating of AM parts has been around for a long time. In it's simplest form a conductive "paint" is applied to the plastic part, then it is elctroplated in a dip tank with a copper solution. Time in the tank equals thickness of the copper layer. After applying copper, other metals can be applied to achieve different finishes/colours

Warning, the parts in the image are not a "before and after" comparison. There is a great deal of surface polishing to achieve chrome finish, and also polishing of the copper layer.
    Also the plating does not cover over surface imperfections, it amplifies them. And avoid sharp corner details or recesses when plating.

Here is a company in the UK I used to use when in a different job, very experienced at plating AM parts and materials
    http://www.3ddc.eu/about.php

Rich