Close

Student

Extruder stepper turns the wrong direction?

Hey Guys! I just got a refurbished Powerspec pro from Microcenter. The right extruder works as it should and prints great, but the left extruder motor turns in the wrong direction. While loading filament, it actually unloads. If I unload the filament, it will actually load. While trying to print, the material just comes out....

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm guessing they have 2 wires crossed somewhere and the polarity was reversed to the motor. Any suggestions before I pop open the cover and start tracing down wires?

Student
    Any ideas??

I would first check if connector at motor is plugged in backwards,
    since they can be forced that way.
    It's easiest to change the wires at motherboard,
    if your Mobo has screw type connectors ?
    If you connect them wrong it will Not damage anything.
    ( probably all 4 wires reversed, not just 2, since motor will not turn if only 2 are reversed )
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 02-14-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Yes check the motor plug found on the printer control board and see if it has been put in the wrong way around.

As stated above it is easy to changed the wires. There should be 4 wires coming from the motor to the control board. You need to swap the red and black wires over. This should work but as stated above be careful that its not all 4 wires that are reversed.

Hope this helps

Senior Engineer
    If the motor turns the wrong way and there is nothing else amiss then it is one pair of wires that are reversed. As far as having 4 wires reversed then there are lots of different ways to do that. In some of those ways it will not move at all and in some of those ways it will work normally and in some of those ways it will run in reverse.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 02-14-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Please check the colors of the wires coming out of the stepper motors. Look at the front of the printer when looking at the wires. Green, Blue, Yellow, and Red from left to right.

Student
    So, I flipped the connector on the motherboard and everything works as it should now. The connector is in backwards now, but it works.

At this point, I am just assuming that they used the wrong wire harness when the printer was refurbished. All of the pics I've seen show a black connector at the stepper motor for the left extruder and a white connector to the stepper on the right. Mine has a white connector for both and the wire colors from left to right are yellow, red, black, orange.

Thanks for the help.