Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think most people younger than 40 have at least some knowledge of 3D Printing. Very minimal perhaps, but they at least know that 3D printers exist. I'd say only about 2% of the population know a good amount about 3D printing, like how it works, etc.

I do get the same response as you guys; and whenever I explain what 3d printing is all about, they’re pretty surprised that this kind of printing process actually exists. Sometimes, they are puzzled on how it works so I always show a demo for them to easily understand.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Interesting to hear that so few people on your side of the ocean really know about it. I can see it could be a way to impress the girls then But not so much over here in the Netherlands, most young people know about it by now, and a lot of schools are buying 3d printers. People aren't really buying them yet for at home, unless they are designers by profession. But even among designers there are very few who own a printer themselves. As from next week I will be among those lucky ones. All in all I would think that about 30-40% of the population here knows what 3d printing is.

By the way, raised printing for desktop printers is also being developed, by Oce. I think they call it 2.5D printing, it's just multiple layers of ink printed on top of each other up to about 4 mm. It looks amazing, I saw it at the 2013 Dutch Design Week.

I think most people younger than 40 have at least some knowledge of 3D Printing. Very minimal perhaps, but they at least know that 3D printers exist. I'd say only about 2% of the population know a good amount about 3D printing, like how it works, etc
    I'm not really sure I would agree with this. I would probably guess about 45% of people under 40 know that 3D printing exists. However I doubt they know how it works, or very many details about it.
    James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12