Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

United Nations Discusses Dangers of 3D Printing

At last month's Second Meeting of Governmental Experts (MGE2), delegates from 94 United Nations member countries gathered in NYC to discuss the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons as pat of the UN's Programme of Action. One topic that came up several times, and was highlighted in the Chair's summary of the meeting, was the 3D printing of firearms. Topics included the smuggling of 3D printed guns past security screening measures, the expected timeline for reliable weapons produced in this manner, dropping prices, 'disposable' weapons, and other regulatory concerns. Read more about the findings from the MGE2 in the full article: http://3dprint.com/83422/united-nations-mge2/
    Below is a look at the UN's MGE2:

Student
    Shades of Y2K. So I guess not only do I have to keep the government from trying to take away my legally owned firearms, I'm going to have to worry abouts the Feds breaking down my door because I own a 3D printer and might be making weapons.

Chicken Little syndrome.

Oh yeah, my 3D printer makes gold nuggets too!

Engineer
    Honestly, they should make it criminal to let those moron become elected to those seat.

"Whoa!! Whoa!! 3D printed arms is dangerous" Until you realize the ammount of cash/effort you got to put in it is not worth it, and you could just buy one.

Staff Engineer
    I'm pretty sure a lot of these are the same people who thought banning water was a good idea a few years back.

Also, the "Meeting of Governmental Experts as part of the Progremme of Action under the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs." is a concept that has my eyes rolling so many times over that I may have just looked at my own brain stem.

3D printers have been around for a long time, why the fuss now?

Maybe the panic is more of an American/European thing... here in SA the bad guys necklace people. Yet the government doesn't crack down on 3D printers 'cos someone might use one to print a tyre...