Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Printed Sculpture Remember Those lose in Honor Killings

Honor killings have been responsible for over 5,000 deaths around the world, with 141 of them occurring since 2003. One of these women who were killed due to the fact they rejected an arranged marriage, was a woman named Shafilea Ahmed. She was killed by her parents by suffocation as her siblings were forced to watch. In honor of Shafilea and the other women who have been victims of such horrendous crimes, an organization called Karma Nirvana created a twitter campaign asking for people to tweet the hashtag #RememberShafilea. These tweets then enabled a 3D printer to print out a sculpture of the woman. Read and see more on this at: http://3dprint.com/81727/remembersha...honor-killing/

Thank you for the having the courage to write about this...

Hi,

As you know, I have covered how "3D" scanning and animation has been used to help root out pedophiles, 3D printing in the awareness of endangered species, to my own situation with my wife and the use of 3D imagery, scanning and printing to help her with in the removal of her tumor (we just finished a TEDx talking about it on July 4th).

With this in mind, I applaud anyone using 3D technology to bring attention to issues that most turn a blind eye to. It is horrifying to realize that so many archaic and primitive practices are still being performed at such a high number. I plan to back your efforts by making it the theme of "3D in Review" on Friday.

Thanks for another great article,

Mike Balzer
    All Things 3D

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Honor killings have been responsible for over 5,000 deaths around the world,
    I think you can happily (?) add a couple of noughts to that figure. In rural india and pakistan it's extremely common and often goes unreported.
    5,000 a year might be a conservative estimate.

It's also the worst use of the word 'honour' ever conceived of.
    There is absolutely NO honour involved in these hideous practices. Quite the opposite.

So kudos to anyone trying to raise awareness.

Senior Engineer
    Definitions imposed on words by our society should not always be taken as correct.

These practises have meaningful and powerful roots, declaring them abhorrent is something we can do easily but is only correct from our viewpoint. Without the education and resources to back it up they will continue.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Not sure there is a valid viewpoint that makes killing your own children okay because: they won't marry or got raped or didn't like their new inlaws or wanted to be educated or kissed the wrong boy etc etc

This isn't about cultural variations it's about barbaric practices and the fact that female lives have no value in these cultures.

I'm all for cultural differences - but somewhere it has to be written that killing your own children - often in very unpleasant ways - is fundamentally wrong from the viewpoint of the human race as a whole.

Senior Engineer
    Not necessarily.

Using a temporary chemical imbalance in the brain as a grounds for choosing the next generation gene pool is what we accept. Using a educated discussion between two pairs of mature adults is not what we accept.

When that choice was essential for survival and survival was so hard that people who would not conform by choice, served no purpose to the group but were just considered a drain and a threat to the survival of the group were disposed of then who would argue that it was not the right thing to do.

Those are the roots, education is the solution.