Close

Student

Makerbot Error 1052

The latest firmware for the Mini is also throwing error 1052. As with 1039 there is no documentation on the Makerbot website.

Is it possible that the latest firmware for the Mini forces one to have a raft? If so, that is a non-backward compatible change. The software engineer or project manager who thinks that silently taking away a critical feature such as this, a feature that users (for example, this one) have been using successfully for quite sometime is acceptable is just plain wrong.

Cheers, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sguthery View Post
    The latest firmware for the Mini is also throwing error 1052. As with 1039 there is no documentation on the Makerbot website.

Is it possible that the latest firmware for the Mini forces one to have a raft? If so, that is a non-backward compatible change. The software engineer or project manager who thinks that silently taking away a critical feature such as this, a feature that users (for example, this one) have been using successfully for quite sometime is acceptable is just plain wrong.

Cheers, Scott
    Hi Scott! The Mini has always required a raft to print. I'm not sure what feature you are talking about. Could you be more specific?

Do you have these error messages with all extruders? You might want to open a case at support.makerbot.com

Student
    Hello, John ...
    Thanks for your response. In fact, the Mini did not always require a raft. One could edit the configuration file, turn off rafts, and the Mini would build the print just fine without rafts. Editing the configuration file after the latest firmware upgrade causes the print to be sliced without a raft but after the gcode is dowloaded to the Mini the Mini throws a 1039 or a 1052 and quits. I've sliced without a raft using Simplify3D and the same thing happens so the bug (yes, I regard it as a bug) is in the firmware.

Why in the world Makerbot things it is acceptable to silently remove functionality is beyond me. Had the release notes said "Printing without a raft is not longer supported in this firmware release" I wouldn't have upgraded. Will Makerbot make the old firmware load available for folks that have been running their Mini without a raft for quite some time and have their pants in a bunch because the feature was removed? I doubt it but it would be the Right Stuff.
    Cheers, Scott

Thanks for the feedback! I have notified the software team regarding this issue. It should be resolved with the next update.