Close

Thread: 3D Print Dolls

3D Print Dolls

I need to find out if the following is possible if its possible then would like to find people who can help me accomplish it.

I would like to be able to print 3D doll heads like this (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...365070943.html) where i can customize the face to match anyone.

The question I have are:

1. What material can we use? Since traditional dolls are either silicone or vinyl in material, what is the closes material in the 3D printed world? Also it would have to be smooth if colored that would be great.

2. What 3D modeling software can this be done easily with where i have 1 or 2 picture of anyone (front and side view).

Thanks
    HY

Staff Engineer
    There were some engineers in a university who just announced some progress in being able to print in materials like that, in color and in translucent layers. Their process hasn't been commericalized yet, though. Wait a few more years and it should be possible.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Student
    To be frank its difficult and expensive. Just creating the prototype for the molds is expensive. We run a sex doll shop that sells TPE sex dolls http://www.redroomdolls.com, and we are having trouble just producing the heads used to produce the molds using 3d printers. Its always comes out to course, and we have to send a lot of time sanding it down.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Your best approach is to CNC the molds out of wood and cast silicone for the products.
    The silicone can be custom colored with Smooth-On pigments and hand painted after curing.
    There are also doll makers who create these parts out of SLS nylon which can be dyed with RIT fabric dyes.
    For full color prints I recommend MCor but it produces very rigid parts.

Modeling is not that straightforward as having a few side views. You will need either a 3D scanner or use Poser to create 3D models.