Close

Felfil -- Open Source Filament Extruder

The Felfil extruder is an open source project designed for home use, and it was created by a team of young makers from the Politecnico of Turin. The team say the device was built with reducing the cost of printing, saving on materials, and being able to experience the potential of 3D printing in mind. The work of a group called the Collettivo Cocomeri, a team of young designers who took part in the Ecodesign Master's Degree program at the Politecnico and the TreataBit Project, it's aimed primarily at producing filaments from recycled materials, plastic waste and unsuccessful models. The device was developed at the Fablab Turin to "give new life to unused components" and employs parts which are readily available within local markets. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/76594/felfil-open-source-extruder/

Adding the prices that appear on the list of components, the whole thing is supposed to cost around 350€, which is a really competitive price tag. However, I don't think it let's any space for experimentation, as the design is too compact to increase the heat surface.

Yet it seems to me perfect for PLA and ABS and to use it on the go, since there is no roll up system attached. It's a really nice one for a hackerspace or a fablab. I wonder how good the filament is in comparison with other extruders.