Close

Engineer-in-Training

What glass is everyone using?

Just curious what glass everyone is using for their print surface?

Technologist
    I started out just using glass cut from Lowes & then switched to a piece of mirror I had Lowes cut for me. It cost $1 for my 10" square piece. I have Buildtak surface stuck on top. Before I put the buildtak surface on, it was a little weird printing with all the reflections. I think about going with borosilicate glass every once in awhile, but have a hard time paying $30+ for it when this is working pretty good.

Technician
    Add Wes@MachWax on Facebook
    Plain old window glass from the hardware store.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am just using a piece of cut glass from the hardware store, I tried using PEI on top of that but it wouldn't lay flat enough so I am just printing on the glass again. I think I may spring for a thicker piece of borosilicate in hopes that it would be a flatter surface.

Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    I started out just using glass cut from Lowes & then switched to a piece of mirror I had Lowes cut for me. It cost $1 for my 10" square piece. I have Buildtak surface stuck on top. Before I put the buildtak surface on, it was a little weird printing with all the reflections. I think about going with borosilicate glass every once in awhile, but have a hard time paying $30+ for it when this is working pretty good.

Just using a $3 piece of window glass from the local hardware store. Works fine.
    Last edited by Roxy; 06-15-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Banned
    Whats glass?

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Ye olde hardware store glass.

I also can't even remember when I last cleaned it or resprayed hairspray on it. From my experience so far I feel that bed adhesion more about the right amount of first layer squish than what material you're printing on!