Close

3D Printing Instruments WHich Play Unheard of Sounds

A woman named Terumi Narushima has developed designs for 3D printable flutes which have the ability to play microtonal sounds -- sounds which we typically are not used to hearing on other instruments. This allows for completely new sounds to be played, and customization can be utilized in developing each instrument on a one-to-one basis. 3D printing allows for minor to major changes to be made, creating unique sounds and custom instruments. Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/71014/3d-printed-microtone-flutes/

Student
    Follow NoahSH On Twitter Add NoahSH on Shapeways Add NoahSH on Thingiverse
    I just have to say, as a musician that these tones are not 'new' but just uncommon. Any cylinder with correctly drilled holes can create notes in between the notes of our scale. Also there is a technique of breath / mouth / finger position that most wind instrumentalists know where you can sweep through the whole note step 'slurring' the sound by subtle control . . . to create these same tones.

Also anyone with a guitar that is out of tune already has access to the tones that are not on a piano. I understand the promotional / news angle, but it's requiring that we have no musical understanding to think something remarkable is happening.

I mean, if they were creating different shaped tubes to alter the sound 'character' creating new types of tones by overtone mixing, then we would have something remarkable. but I can create a flute like this out of scrap tube and a drill. Not saying they shouldn't pursue and perfect such things, but maybe to reconsider the promotional angle.

They are using 3D printing in an interesting way, but why sensationalize and pretend it is revolutionary? I mean, the first cultures of earth made these things . . .