Close

Modelling software? I don't get it.

I feel that my ability to create objects to print is severely restricted by my inability to grasp the concepts involved in the use of modelling software like Blender, Eureka and Sketchup. I wonder if it is because I learned to make drawings the old way, using pencil, paper, T-square and drawing tools.

I'm fine making objects using software like Rhino and such, but how do you create things by sculpting virtual "clay"? I get the idea that I was in the principal's office when they introduced new design software.

Old Man Emu

I recommend watching a bunch of youtube tutorials on Blender, it's very capable software. I teach workshops with it, and it's a steep learning curve but I think it's worth it. It can be a bit of a brain-stretch if you're not used to working in virtual 3D spaces.

By the end of the week I'll compile a good beginner tutorial playlist, because there's a lot of crappy blender tutorials out there to sort through.

Staff Engineer
    One "virtual clay" modeler you might try is Sculpt from 3DS. It's ported from the Claytools software used by their haptic arm devices, although it's much less money, and it's really simple and intuitive to learn. You can try the demo for free: http://cubify.com/sculpt . Let me know if you get stuck.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com