Close

Student

A "hole" in my print?

I've tried to print this twice and both times I get this little hole

I've printed out many other ones of the same thing (different sizes) and they are all perfect

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    What filament are you using? Size?

Student
    PLA, standard size 1.75? If that sounds right. It's only on this one piece. Everything else prints perfect

Staff Engineer
    At a guess, it might be a partial clog in the nozzle. Large enough that it would cause the flow to sort of sputter at the beginning of each layer, but small enough that the pressure overcomes the clog and it prints normally after just a moment. Eventually, the flow of plastic works these small clogging particles out of the nozzle altogether.

I suggest cleaning your nozzle with some acetone or using some cleaning filament to unstick whatever other debris is in there.

You're definitely under-extruding at a similar point in the print. If you have retraction turned on, it might be that you need to add length on restart (considering where the hole is relation to the points I can see on the print where the layer restarts). I doubt it's any kind of blockage, or you'd see more evidence of under extrusion in other areas. You could also try upping the extrusion multiplier a little to see if that has any effect.