Close

The Importance of Infill and Shell Parameters

Cliff Smyth, experienced 3D printing enthusiast and author, thought it was important to write the book on some of the more simple rules regarding 3D printing that can actually make or break a print—literally. He focused here on infill and shell parameters and how they affect the durability of a 3D print, with more infill generally resulting in higher strength, and less infill creating more flexible parts. Read more about Smyth's findings in the full article: http://3dprint.com/59153/smyth-infill-shell-parameters/

Below is a photo from one of Smyth's strength tests:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The type of infill also makes a huge difference.

If he'd done the same tests with the honeycomb makerware desktop infill - It would probably have created stronger parts at lower percentage infill.
    Whereas simplify 3d would have weaker parts at higher infill.
    Sometimes it's easier to use a thicker shell to add strength.

Okay so he did a test - but seriously: more infill = stronger parts, less = weaker but more flexible.
    It's not exactly telling us anything we didn't already know.

I guess he had fun :-)

Hi Curiousaardvark : you can make honeycomb infill in S3D.
    When you go to the infill section, you have -45° and 45° on the right side of the tab. Just replace that with -60°, 0°, 60° and it should be honeycomb-like..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds interesting - does it bond though ? That's the main thing s3d doesn't do. Hell even with extrusion width at 200-250% it depends on the filament as to whether or not it'll form a solid infill. Even the best I've got is only semi-solid.

Just don't understand why they don't simply add the option for solid infill.

I will give that a go - cheers :-)

Student
    Another article related to the infill topic: http://my3dmatter.com/influence-infi...eight-pattern/

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by boucaron View Post
    Another article related to the infill topic: http://my3dmatter.com/influence-infi...eight-pattern/
    Good info. I don't get the focus on PLA though. I'd like to see the same results for ABS, T-Glase, etc.

Banned
    I use simplify3D and it does 100% infill, not sure what you are experiencing aardvark.