Close

Printrbot metal plus, Worth waiting for dual extruder? or get single now.

I have been wanting the Printrbot Metal plus for a while now, but it seems like the wait list is really long for the dual extruder version.
    As a first time printer buyer, would it be worth waiting for the dual extruder to be available, or should i just get the single extruder.
    they also sell a dual extrude kit, for another an extra 250. so i guess i can up grade later. not sure how hard it is to install, but i feel like i could do it.

its either:
    Single for 1200 (later on can upgrade to dual for 250 more)
    or
    dual for 1400

i dont understand why buying it separately would cost more, they dont have to install it. they just give me the parts and say good luck.

main question... should i wait for the dual ex. or just get the single one now.

I've got a dual extruder printer. I've used it as a dual twice, and that was really only to see how it worked. The great thing about buying a printer with two extruders is that you have spare parts for when one dies, aside from that...

YMMV

Ok, that's good to know. Hmmmm. Something to think about I guess. I wouldn't nessecarily need to print in 2 colors or dissolve...Ibe been thinking about this for a long time. If the dual head was more available I would probably have gotten that one. But since it's not, its hard to make a decision.

I have the dual version : I haven't used the dual much since I have it but to be honest between learning and the baby arriving 3 weeks before the printer : it's been hectic. Since I make my own designs, I intend fully to use it as a dual. The question is : will you ? If you don't do your own designs, admittedly there isn't much available for download.

Be careful : PB states clearly the dual upgrade kit will not be sold after end of month, so don't think this is a long lasting option.

Also : I had to reroute the Z probe this week end and you have all the documentation you could want from PB look in the support section.

As to why the simple + kit is more expensive than the full package : that's quite understandable. The handling cost is an important part of such small items.

True. I do design things on my own. Which I think will be most of my prints, rather than just downloading something.
    I just don't know if I can fully ultilize the dual... But I've been waiting since January to buy the pb. Maybe it will be better to wait a little bit longer to get the dual with heated bed. Unless something else is on the market that is similar in the same price range.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    personally dual printing with two seperate nozzles is a real pita.

There are companies that produce printers with one printhead and 2 extruders.

Now, given they exist it's only matter of time before someone produces a kit for such a printhead to use on other printer makes.
    If it were me - and I currently own 2 dual extruders with exactly 4 dual extruding prints. I'd get the single head and keep my eyes open for a single nozzle dual extruder to hit the market.

Well ! First run tonight... doesn't look that messy... so far ! (fingers crossed)
    IMG_20150414_225046.jpg2015-04-14 22.48.39.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Well ! First run tonight... doesn't look that messy... so far ! (fingers crossed)

ahh you suck.! im jealous, when did u originally purchase it and how long did u wait till you got it.
    was it worth the wait? was there another printer you had in mind other than the printrbot?

I purchased it in December when it was still in production. I received it in january when serial production started shipping. I bought S3D to go with it even though PB doesn't recommend it.

I'm really satisfied. The support is extremely reactive and helpful, the product doesn't require much support anyway. As to the availability : I knew I would have to wait a bit because they were just starting production. But the company and product were really convincing : why go to a lesser product for the sole joy of instant gratification (or deception) ?

I had been talking to spiderbot to beta test a bigger version of their product : the 18cm cylinder was a bit small for my intent. Their product is really a machine of beauty and efficiency, the rotating dual head is a wonder to see and the spares & support would have been more efficient since they are in my country. ( http://www.spiderbot.eu/en/ ) In the end, no regret.