Close

New 3D Printable Material Can Help Regenerate Human Tissue

Dr. Prashant Kumta and researchers at the Swanson School of Engineering and School of Dental Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh have developed a new 3D printed material for highly successful use in creating scaffoldings for the regeneration of biological tissue. Using an iron-manganese powder combination, they have created a viable synthetic 3D printed material that is corrosive and porous enough, as well as containing all the proper mechanical properties, to work as successful scaffolding in the rebuilding of tissue. They have so far created a goat mandible from a CT scan. The researchers are highly optimistic and will continue their research, working with animals first. For more details, check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/56463/iron-manganese-alloy-scaffold/

Below is a photo of bone cells attaching to 3D printed scaffolding:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Just amazing.
    I'm going to hold out on a shoulder replacement till the buggers can print me a full on biological joint :-)
    None of this 10 year crap :-) It's taken me over 40 years to bugger up my existing shoulder, in or 5 years when they can make real jbio-joints it should last as long as I do :-)