Close

Technician

Why the limited software and firmware?

I have noticed that most use one of the existing slicers. I can understand this to an extent as there are a couple of good ones out there.

I have also noticed that most use existing firmware when making there own 3D printers. This one I do not understand.

On the firmware:
    On the firmware it takes less than two days to write a complete set of firmware, working only in spare time. All that the firmware is, is a way to receive the G-Code, let the host system know of the sucessful receipt of the G-Code or any error in receipt, a way to process the G-Code, stepper control outputs, PWM outputs for controlling the current to the NiChrome element(s), delta sigma decoding the analog input from the thermistor(s), and watching the zeroing microswitch state.

This is all simple stuff, especially as simple as G-Code is to parse. So why do people use premade Firmware thus limiting the design of there 3D-Printer HW?

On the slicers:
    I can understand using a premade slicer to begin with. Though the slicer is not going to know what your HW is best with, it is generic. I am still using a premade slicer, though that is only because I am still debugging my firmware.

It is not to difficult to write a slicer, and I am in the process of doing so. The slicer that I am working on in some of my spare time is a simple one that prefers X movement as the primary continuous, as that is what works best for my 3D Printer.

On 3D modelers:
    I understand very well the use of only a few 3D modelers , it makes good since. Though as 3D printing is still in its infancy we are using StL models as the primary format. And we are using modeling software that is designed for other uses, often meaning that the polygon mesh is sorted in a way that is less than ideal for our usage.

So why are not more people writing 3D modelers that are better for the application of 3D printing? At very least to focus on sorting the polygons so that the bottom level is first, and continues vertically?

Do to the application of 3D printing there is no reason that a simpler modeler that is a lot faster could not be used. As such why use the slow traditional 3D modelers. We do not need bump mapping, or any of the extra rendering stuff. Just a simple modeler with simple flat poly rendering and we are good. We only need at maximum a resolution of 100 polys per cm each direction, and in most cases way less than that. Think about the models you have created, and the limits of your 3D printer.

I have written the design for a new 3D modeler that focuses on the application of 3D printing. I will work on writing the 3D modeler once I have finished the rest of the 3D printer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    'it's not difficult to write slicers and firmware'.

Oh yes it bloody well is !
    for 99.9999999% of the population anyway ;-)

If it's so easy. Please write a better slicer and show us how easy it is ;-)

The 3d modeller you're talking about sounds like openscad.

But again, show us your program and I'll believe you that it really is easy - for you maybe.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Just code up an awesome slicer for everyone, and you will have proven your point.

Until then, this is just stuff people posted on the internet.

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm with the other two. I have some experience with coding from past projects but no where near enough to be able to write my own firmware. I've got just enough knowledge that i can draw together other people's code, pick the bits I want, put them all together, and half the time end up with something functional.

@OP: What some people won't say. Too funny...

Technician
    I intend to release my firmware, slicer, and modeler once everything is completely debugged. I would think that a given.And any one that codes for MCU's controlling HW can tell you how easy the software is.Any old school raw game coder can tell you how simple a slicer would be to create, same for a 3D modeler.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    @OP: What some people won't say. Too funny...
    I must agree with that. The other responces (before yours) do seem to be based in humor.LOL.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yes, it's humor - nobody wants to run you off, DavidS.

I'm sure many of us would love to see, help test, and eventually use your super new programs. It's just that most of us haven't developed the skillset to do this ourselves, so the tasks seem daunting.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Yes, it's humor - nobody wants to run you off, DavidS.

I'm sure many of us would love to see, help test, and eventually use your super new programs. It's just that most of us haven't developed the skillset to do this ourselves, so the tasks seem daunting.
    Well I am rewriting the firmware for a Parallax Propeller P8X32A MCU based controller with ULN2803 motor drivers. It uses a Continous rotation servo for feeding the filament, though should be easy to reconfigure for those that prefer a stepper for that part. The three axises are of course Steppers.

I had it written in P8X32A assembly with minimal comments, I am rewriting it mostly in SPIN (a high level, Pascal like, language for the P8x32A, that is run in a byte code interpreter on the MCU), with heavy commenting.

I am making the change to make it simple for those that do not like Assembly. I want to help make available low cost 3D Printers.

Once everything is in final forum I will also be uploading complete designs for the printer to these forums (along with the firmware), so that any one can use it with out much trouble. I want it to be a good stable design that costs the builder less than $150 total (including the little stuff we do not think about like tape, epoxy, solder, etc).

I just want to help more people get into 3D printing. I know there are enough tinkerers out there that any new design will quickly be built, and someone will make it available to others at minimal profit (likely with out any support, though it is a way to get it out there).

Technician
    Would anyone have a problem with using a custom control application that parses the G-Code on the host computer and sends simple smaller commands to the 3D printer?

I am thinking about making this change to save memory on the MCU. With an 8 core MCU speed is not the issue, just memory.

I would also provide the host computer software for Windows (command line only), Linux x86, MS/PC/DR/FreeDOS, Linux ARM, and RISC OS. Source would be included so that it can be ported to other Operating systems as well.