Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Question So printing Taulman Bridge Nylon is easy? Not for me! Help needed plz

Hi and thanks for reading my thread!
    So I'm having some issues printing Taulman Bridge Nylon. The extruder seems to be having issues feeding the nylon, it has a brief moment when its feeding then slips on the nylon (rinse and repeat) When I received the filament it was damp (steam coming out from hotend, cracks and pops.etc) I have dried the filament out and those issues are gone. My printer prints PLA and ABS like a champ. So why this nylon is causing so much trouble has got me stumped. The filament measures 1.76~1.78mm so its a fraction on the large size. Not that I would expect that to cause the issue?

What I've tried so far:

Adjust idler lose
    Adjust idler tight
    Made a tiny adjustment to align hobbed bolt perfectly
    Raised and lowered printing temp (235~255c)

My Setup:

Custom build Reprap i3
    Gregs Wades extruder
    E3D V6 1.75mm hotend

Engineer
    Do you have a bowden tube (push setup) by any chance? Assuming you're using E3D, which might be the case.
    Also, what the printing speed and z resolution ?

Nylon by nature is slippery, which is why it is a pain to deal with. Nice thing with nylon is the ability to dye it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Rofl! I got it to feed in my Taz but I couldn't get it to stick to the build plate nor painter tape

Following with baited breath to see what this thread yields for info. I was trying T618 but if I can get close settings for bridge, I might get somethig to fly.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Do you have a bowden tube (push setup) by any chance? Assuming you're using E3D, which might be the case.
    Also, what the printing speed and z resolution ?

Nylon by nature is slippery, which is why it is a pain to deal with. Nice thing with nylon is the ability to dye it.
    Im using a Gregs Wades extruder (direct drive), Print speed of 20mm/s for first layer. Then 50 mm/s (though obviously Ive never made it past the first layer lol) I didnt know you could dye nylon. Good to know! no doubt that will come in handy.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Rofl! I got it to feed in my Taz but I couldn't get it to stick to the build plate nor painter tape

Following with baited breath to see what this thread yields for info. I was trying T618 but if I can get close settings for bridge, I might get somethig to fly.
    I had no problem getting it to stick to my heated bed. I use a pva/water 50/50 solution and spray that on my glass bed. You only need a very thin coat for it to work great. then heat the bed up to 90c.

Engineer
    You need some sort of porous surface... really porous. I plan to try on plywood. Glue or hairspray don't work with Taulman.

Garolite, is overkill and you might just destroy your print or garolite by trying to remove it.

Also about nylon dye

Engineer
    Back to the topic, have you ever considered that your nozzle might be partially clogged?

Can you try extruding in the open and watch the pushed plastic out of the nozzle? If the nylon goes straight then it is clean, if it curve to one side, then it is dirty.

The following topic explain how you can clean your nozzle with Nylon filament, and considering the fact you already have, it is very handy.

http://blog.teambudmen.com/2013/09/s...er-nozzle.html

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Back to the topic, have you ever considered that your nozzle might be partially clogged?

Can you try extruding in the open and watch the pushed plastic out of the nozzle? If the nylon goes straight then it is clean, if it curve to one side, then it is dirty.

The following topic explain how you can clean your nozzle with Nylon filament, and considering the fact you already have, it is very handy.

http://blog.teambudmen.com/2013/09/s...er-nozzle.html

So I tried a couple of cold pulls like suggested, nozzle was clean as a whistle. So I figured that the problem likely had to be related to nozzle pressure. So I tried printing at 265c and bam works. 1 layer kinda failed in a print so maybe another 5~10c will be perfect. Obviously its realistically impossible to measure the true nozzle temp. So my guess it my true nozzle temp is about 10~20c lower than measured. Im using the supplied semitec thermistor, its a top quality thermistor so Im sure that isnt the problem. Anyway was an easy fix. Thanks for help and I hope anyone else having the same issue finds this thread

EDIT, also many thanks to Richard for info on dying nylon!

Student
    UPDATE: For anyone interested these are my final and working settings. Hotend 275c (recommend only using an all metal hotend for this temp) and the 2nd key setting was the idler tension. Only med~loose tension. Med~tight tension only resulted in slipping.

First successful nylon print!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We usually print Nylon on 220 grit sandpaper, grit up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast