Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OWL Nano 3D Printer - Resolution of 100 nanometers

Just saw a PR about this today. It's a new 3D Printer that is said to have 100X's better resolution then current consumer level 3D Printers.

"The OWL Nano offers the accuracy and reliability of significantly more expensive, larger machines," said Nicholas Liverman, partner, Old World Laboratories. "It's the ideal tool for anyone looking to create high-value, low-volume products or molds. If you can dream it, the OWL Nano can build it with incredible precision."
    The OWL Nano's laser also maintains a perfect perpendicular position below the object it is forming, which creates a more balanced 3D print.
    Here are some stats:
    Printing technology: Stereolithography (SLA)
    Layer Resolution: 100 nanometers
    Build Volume: 288 in3 (6L x 6W x 8H in)
    4,500,000 mm3 (150L x 150W x 200H mm)
    Weight: 45 lbs
    Power: 1.4 A, 120 V
    Build Temperature: 72 – 77 F
    Build Materials: Acrylate, Photopolymer Resin
    Software: Netfabb, Marlin Filmare (included)
    O.S. Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
    Travel Case: Pelican (included)

I don't see a price anywhere, but this printer seems awesome!

More details can be found supposedly at http://www.oldworldlabs.com/ , although I didn't see any.

What exactly does this mean. 100 nonometers? Exactly how small is that? I would think that this means that it would be impossible to see any lines or evidence of 3D printing, and the details would be extraordinary. I'd like to know what the price of this machine is. Anyone know?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AbracadabraMan View Post
    What exactly does this mean. 100 nanometers? Exactly how small is that? I would think that this means that it would be impossible to see any lines or evidence of 3D printing, and the details would be extraordinary.
    1. Real damn tiny. Much smaller than human hair.

2. Pretty much. See this bit. This is a lots-of-layers print from the Peachy. Layer height is about 4000 nanometers and it looks like glass.

Wow, that is really incredible. So basically this printer can make "perfect" prints. At least to the human eye. I too would love to see the price on this printer.

Print quality has a lot to do with X/Y accuracy, perhaps more than z-height (layer thickness). X/Y accuracy and a temperature controlled build chamber are why output from a Stratasys Mojo looks better than from a standard FDM/FFF personal printer, even though a Mojo lays down thicker layers than a lot of personal printers. An SLA printer like this one still lives by the same rules. Layer thickness doesn't matter if each layer is not laid down perfectly on top of the previous layer -- x/y variation is a quality killer.

In a nutshell, I'm saying you can't judge quality based on stats alone -- particularly z-resolution stats. Your eyes don't lie. You need to see prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Print quality has a lot to do with X/Y accuracy, perhaps more than z-height (layer thickness). X/Y accuracy and a temperature controlled build chamber are why output from a Stratasys Mojo looks better than from a standard FDM/FFF personal printer, even though a Mojo lays down thicker layers than a lot of personal printers. An SLA printer like this one still lives by the same rules. Layer thickness doesn't matter if each layer is not laid down perfectly on top of the previous layer -- x/y variation is a quality killer.

In a nutshell, I'm saying you can't judge quality based on stats alone -- particularly z-resolution stats. Your eyes don't lie. You need to see prints.
    That's an excellent point! Something I haven't even though about before your post. Is there a certain spec that tells of the X/Y accuracy? Funny thing is I don't think I've ever seen it listed on 3D Printers spec sheets. If this is so important, it should be something all 3D Printers including this OWL Nano should let us know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hall_of_Famer View Post
    That's an excellent point! Something I haven't even though about before your post. Is there a certain spec that tells of the X/Y accuracy? Funny thing is I don't think I've ever seen it listed on 3D Printers spec sheets. If this is so important, it should be something all 3D Printers including this OWL Nano should let us know about.
    You see the stat on most pro machines and occasionally a personal class machine. It's typically listed in +/- microns as a variance or resolution. There may be several reasons it doesn't get listed. Sometimes, the numbers aren't worth bragging about. Other times, a machine maker might not know how to measure it. Z-resolution is software adjustable, while X/Y typically isn't.

I don't want to make it sound like machines that don't list it are bad, because I've seen great prints from machines that don't list it.

Technologist
    100nm x 10,000 layers = 1mm. Not a very practical print resolution at all. Not sure what the print would look like but it's pretty easy to claim this number based on software and hardware capabilities. Even if this printer is 10x faster than normal plastic extrusion printers it would take a looooooong time to do this. Even at 100x faster you are talking 100 equivalent layer times to print 1mm. That's 2,540 layer times to print an inch. The implication, of course, is that this means it will have amazing prints. This isn't necessarily true but it does capture our attention quite well!

On another note, with all the stereolithography printers coming out, what is the cost of printing with them? I assume the cost of the resin will come down but it seems pretty pricey now. Anybody have any experience with this type of printer and how much of the liquid polymer it uses?

Price is now indicated in their website. For $4,900 you might get the dream machine. The pelican case is a nice touch, but I don't know how useful past initial delivery ?

If anyone already received one, I'd be really interested to get a feedback on :
    - their software.
    - a picture of successful prints.
    - did you ask for a 220V alim ?

Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    100nm x 10,000 layers = 1mm. Not a very practical print resolution at all. Not sure what the print would look like but it's pretty easy to claim this number based on software and hardware capabilities. Even if this printer is 10x faster than normal plastic extrusion printers it would take a looooooong time to do this. Even at 100x faster you are talking 100 equivalent layer times to print 1mm. That's 2,540 layer times to print an inch. The implication, of course, is that this means it will have amazing prints. This isn't necessarily true but it does capture our attention quite well!

On another note, with all the stereolithography printers coming out, what is the cost of printing with them? I assume the cost of the resin will come down but it seems pretty pricey now. Anybody have any experience with this type of printer and how much of the liquid polymer it uses?
    That's a good point, but I'm worry with fatige of mechanics parts and temperture of system due long time of print. There isn't doubt about print time. Is not a problem to me. I want a smooth surface and detailed object only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast