Close

What does Intels Partnership with 3D Systems mean?

This was very confusing to me. Intel announced that their new chip is allowing for new 3D cameras on computers, including laptops. They also announced that they are partnering with 3D Systems. However, they said absolutely nothing about what the partnership was meant for.

Anyone have any idea? This could be huge for 3D printing if this partnership is something significant.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    They had more announcements later last night. Basically, the Tablet/Laptops with intel chips have 3D cameras. These cameras will also be coming to desktops soon.

These 3D cameras work as 3D scanners, to digitize all your 3D objects. It can turn a tangible object into a virtual object in less than 1 minute.

These can then be manipulated or just printed out using 3D printers.

Pretty big new in my opinion.

Engineer
    What happened was that Intel Did not reveal anything of value, however 3D Systems issued a press release with more details about the partnership. Here is a snippet from the press release. I agree, this is awesome news for the industry. Soon all laptops and desktops will feature 3D Scanners in them. Next up tablets and phones. This should be a nice shot in the arm for both Intel and 3D systems. Intel is getting their hands into everything computerized.

3D Systems (NYSEDD) announced today a collaboration with Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) to mainstream the adoption of 3D scanning and 3D printing. 3DS will make available its consumer Sense™ scanning, editing and 3D printing software applications for Intel-powered Ultrabook, 2 in 1, AIO and tablet devices equipped with the new Intel 3D camera during the second half of 2014. Additionally, 3DS plans to make its 3D scanning technology available to developers as part of Intel’s SDK to make it significantly easier to implement advanced depth sensing capabilities to all kinds of applications.
    “At Intel, we believe 3D scanning and printing is going to be a game changer for consumers, educators and makers,” said Brian Krzanich, CEO, Intel Corporation. “We are thrilled that we can work with the leader in 3D printing to bring to life the 3D camera for people using Intel devices. This cutting-edge camera will make sure even the least technically sophisticated can capture, scan and print the world in high quality 3D.”
    “Intel’s built-in 3D camera technology enables world-class scanning capabilities for creating 3D models directly from your tablet or computer,” said Avi Reichental, President & CEO, 3DS. “Our exclusive collaboration with Intel is at the heart of both companies’ passionate commitment to democratize access from capture to print and make it easy, fun and satisfying for consumers to live their 3D lifestyle. Now, the student, the maker and the consumer will be able to create compelling 3D items easily and with affordability.”

Pretty good news for those of us that don't feel like going out and buying a 3D Scanner. Several of the latest intel laptops/tablets will now basically have a 3D Scanner built right into them. I know I'm going to grab one of these when they come out.