Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse

Printing issue help

Went to print out the x carriage piece for clough42's fan mount.
    I3v 10" Hexagon 1.75. Makerfarm Blue 1.75 ABS Sliced in both Cura and tried with Slic3r 1.1.7. Both looked good when slicing. Hotend at 235, Bed at 90 ( PEI sheet mounted to Glass). Other prints have worked well.

2 changes I have made is the z endstop to using this - http://www.thingiverse.com/make:116574, and ZennMasterM's fine tunning part 2, which mine came out to be 91% for this roll of filament. Thoughts and suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    It's a little hard to see what the issue is from the picture, is the issue the missing part at the top? Also is the ABS lifting/curling shown on the right side of the picture?

so whats going wrong? the small ABS bits popping off the bed? If that's the case print with a brim, it's because of shrinkage and the brim will help hold things in place/keep them from warping as bad so that you can get them printed and get ABL enabled, once you get that going things get much easier

Technologist
    sorry, I should have been clearer. there was no lifting, that is the PEI over the glass making it seem like it was lifting. Gmay3, you are correct, it is the fact that it seems to have not printed the top middle section where the mounting screws and cross beam (my description).

Technologist
    for some reason I can't add the slic3r picture to my original post, so here it is for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that beam doesnt print till halfway through the print

edit: nm that was the whole print it looked like it was only a few layers thick

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Ah I took a look at the file on clough42's thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335613 and I think I see the problem. If this picture you posted above is the complete result of the print, you need to flip it over and try printing it again. If you look at rendering of his model for this part, this is the orientation you want to print it in. The part missing from your print was printed without support and fell through/failed (which is why it's designed to print as pictured, then you won't need support and it should come out just fine).

Also one hint for slic3r that is extremely useful. You may know this already and if so I apologize. If you double click on the part you placed on the simulated bed in slic3r, you get a very nice 3d rendering of the part which is really useful to make sure everything is oriented the way you wanted!

Good luck!

Technologist
    shoot, you are right sniffle, I just opened the STL in Cura and it looks like it doesn't really connect until around the 5th layers, I see in looking at the underside, it has recesses for the screws. so turns out it was really a PEBKAC issue. DOH!!!

I've been compiling slic3r for a while now from source, it has some great new features, even since the most recent experimental release and i haven't had any real slicing issues besides 1 and it has been messed up for a while now.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Ah I took a look at the file on clough42's thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335613 and I think I see the problem. If this picture you posted above is the complete result of the print, you need to flip it over and try printing it again. If you look at rendering of his model for this part, this is the orientation you want to print it in. The part missing from your print was printed without support and fell through/failed (which is why it's designed to print as pictured, then you won't need support and it should come out just fine).

Also one hint for slic3r that is extremely useful. You may know this already and if so I apologize. If you double click on the part you placed on the simulated bed in slic3r, you get a very nice 3d rendering of the part which is really useful to make sure everything is oriented the way you wanted!

Good luck!
    I didn't know that about slic3r, so that is good to know, and I didn't change the orientation. Does that make sense? I could try and print it upside down, but I just took the file and sliced it, no modifications. ( I am up to that kind of thing yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast