Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you can also increase the filament retraction when travelling. I tend to have mine set to 3mm, the default is 1.

Also different filaments will produce different levels of webbing.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I'm generally pretty happy with the stock retraction settings. Gotta be careful with retraction since it can pull molten filament up into the Liner and it can harden in there and jam up. 3mm probably is ok though. Longer retractions work better where there is more molten filament in a melt pool, the flashforge has a very little melt pool compared to other all metal setups.

3 mm works fine.

I hate the purge simplify does before printing. I love the way RepG feeds a little pool onto the corner then continues feeding the filament out while traveling to your part.

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse
    I loved that too...which is why I do a couple rounds of a skirt. Gets rid of any hangies.

Technician
    simplify3d is worth it especially if you do dual extruder printing or need to program periodic stops for parameter change or to change filaments. Has a learning curve though. Instructions almost nonexistent.
    I spent over $1500 for my setup and would be foolish not to spend some extra to get best performance.

Instructions are comprehensive and readily available - good manual, available online and in pdf.
    Plus anythig you want to know has already been answered on the s3d forum.
    And there are info bubble when you hover over every single setting.
    And the s3d team answer emails swiftly and sort out any problems just as quickly.

You'd have to work really hard to not find detailed instructions.

The start purge can be modified by gcode. haven't done it yet as I quite like the spit strand into case. I like the makerware wipe better - and at some point I'll work out how to do that. There are instructions around, I remember seeing.

My only real issue is with the infil and the fact that I can't get the right nozzle on my creator working properly. Yet the one on the knp machine is fine.

But it's still hand down better than anything else I've used.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    My opinion: Simplify 3D might be good, but I'm not enjoying using it. The interface is much too complicated, confusing and too detailed and flat. Basically, if you're not careful on each print and check each and every setting, you may get undesired results. I love the idea of all the control it has, but the control is messy and unorganized. Once I learn it, I may start to like it. But for now I think the name is misleading...

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I think the name means it simplifies making changes to the print settings. You don't have to change everything. Just use the default Flashforge or whatever settings and tweak from there. I spend more time tweaking support settings than anything. That and extrusion volume/filament diameter.
    Last edited by jfkansas; 04-20-2015 at 08:54 PM.

yeah narg - how many other programs have you played with ?
    I think slic3r is harder to use, cura easier, rep-g just a piece of crap that takes all bloody day to slice even simple models, not tried repetier host.
    Makerware is the easiest to use and gives decent results. But has a seriously annoying habit of resetting speed and temps when you click on anything not in the settings tab.

And the beauty of s3d is that once you've got settings that work. They stay saved and always work.

The layout does seperate similiar elements which makes it easier to use.

But it's like everything - you have to learn how to use things to make things.
    Programs like makerware that only offer a half dozen options (without the profile editor) are easier to use - but less effective.

I always more detail than less. Which equates to more control.
    You can use s3d in idiot mode - where you just pick between different preset settings.
    I have ever tried that - as I pretty much change certain things for every print. And they use way more infill than I tend to on most models.

There are many options I've never messed with in s3d - because you don't need to.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast