Close

Student

Best scan software for kinect? need advice for my study

night everyone, thanks for ur attention for seeing my thread. this is my first post in this usefull forum for studying. i have some question, and i hope someone giving me advice. about my studying purpose is, i want to make my modelling environment is easier and faster than i have to make it manually before, and rig my animation more realistic and smooth by using mocap. btw i was on my first term college of animation major, and actually this class material is at 5th term, and this is just my study prepare, and i want to learn it early. please give me some advice, and sorry if my english are bad.
    firstly, i was planning on buying kinect for windows v2, but there are another devices like Carmine and Xtion. which one is the best for 3d model scan and mocap rigging?
    second, what is the best software for scanning with more depth and mesh (more detailed scan) ?
    third, what is the best software for mocap rigging? does i actually just need to use motion builder or plugin? is there any best software for kinect/carmine/xtion for mocap rigging?

some software i already know about, but not already using it : skanect, reconstructme, kinect fusion, artec studio, kscan 3d

please some answer and advice if allowed, thank u so much, and sorry for my bad english

Staff Engineer
    Not sure about mocap, but I've tried scanning with the Asus Xtion and Carmine sensors. They have the advantage of not needing power from a wall outlet like the Kinect, otherwise they're pretty similar. I had the best luck with Occipital's Skanect Pro software.