Close

Makerbot Relicator 2X builder plate not holding heat

Before printing, I use the preheat utility. the extruders go up to about 230. The build plate gets to 110. Whenever I try to print out a file that came with the Makerbot SD card, the build plate stays at 110 throughout the printing and no parts of the print lift from the plate. However, if I try to print a model from Thingiverse or one that I created in Google Sketchup, as soon as the printing starts, the temp in the build plate begins to drop. Within a few minutes into the print, the plate temp drops to around 60. Eventually, the edges of the print start to lift from the plate.

When I spoke to Makerbot about this, they briefly mentioned some of the settings in the Thingiverse model might not have the right settings. However, they didn't tell me what settings to look for or how to correct them. I checked the Makerbot Desktop settings and I do have "heat the build plate" turned on. Then Makerbot suggested I upgrade to the newest firmware version (7.6) which I did this morning. Same problem. Anyone else having this problem? If so, have you found a correction?

Thanks,

Bruce

I finally figured out that my problem was caused by using the "standard" profile in the Print Settings. Apparently, the "platform temp" in the profile is set to zero. So, when I export the Thingiverse file using that profile, the build platform temp will start at the preheat temp and then drop down. I created a custom profile with platformTemp = 110 and tried again. This time the build plate stayed at 110 during the entire job. The only problem is, some of the other settings like layer height are set to give a higher quality print which means the job is going to take over two hours rather than the 1 hour it took using the "Standard" profile.

I would like to keep all of the values in the Standard profile the same with the exception of the build plate temp; but, don't know what those are supposed to be. I can't find a print out of them although the MakerBot site does tell me what each of the settings is for. Does anyone know what the Standard profile settings are? Could you send them to me?

Thanks,

Bruce

Platform Temp & Warping

I have had the EXACT same problem, butt... I have a couple Questions I hope you can help me with "QB". Your "Fix" makes perfect sense, and I'm in the middle of a print that started with the bed at 110 deg. and is now in the low 40's. Please tell me WHERE the Std Profile is located... In what program... or is it in the firmware on the Replicator? I hope you post any updates... I was dissapointed to see that no one answered your post, but thankful that you posted your own "Fix." I thought I had fixed the problem by wiping the Painters' Tape with an alcohol swab. It helped for one print, and then I had to change the tape. The next print that is hopefully going to make it is lifting even worse. As I replaced the tape, I was wondering if the protective film that is under the blue tape when it's shipped is supposed to be removed or not. I thought it should be, but they had applied the tape over it. I received NO INSTRUCTIONS with my unit that weren't in Chinese, and my 2nd Language is Hungarian, but only while I'm completely asleep. I would also like to help a Great Samaritan as yourself, if you know where to get wiring instructions for adding led's and a fan? Additionally... do you have problems in Sketchup dimensions changing by the time you convert the file to .x3g ?? Any Information you come across as you progress would be appreciated, and as I progress, I'll be glad to send to you, in return. Goulash
    Last edited by Goulash; 02-26-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: I had some Typo's