Close

Japanese Researchers Want to Create a 3D Printed Bone Bank

Blood banks are fairly ubiquitous around the world, stockpiling different types of blood in preparation for patients who will need infusions. What if similar systems could be put into place for those requiring bone grafts? Researchers at the University of Tokyo have been working on that idea with NEXT21. These researchers announced last Spring a technique to 3D print artificial bones, and are now working on the idea of creating a stockpile of bones ready in a sort of bone bank. They suggest this could become a reality within just three years, as 3D printing can enable the production of thousands of bones of all types. Their technique uses "bone ink" based on calcium phosphate to manufacture the bones, so they will be bio-compatible for patients, decreasing the risk of post-surgical complications. Check out more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/37323/japanese-3d-printed-bone-bank/

Below is an X-ray of a 3D printed hip implant in a patient. What do you guys thin of this proposal to make a bank of 3D printed bones? Seems like it could be a godsend for many individuals who are unexpectedly injured.:

Engineer-in-Training
    There are a limited number of blood types which makes stockpiling blood relatively easy so long as there is enough supply. Bones on the other hand, even if limited to specific bones rather than the entire 200+ piece skeleton that is the human body, are far more specific to the individual. If I lose a pint of blood, they give me a pint. If I lose 2 pints, they give me two. Volume has increased but the basic stocked item is the same. Bones are not liquid and therefore a stockpile of not only different types of bones but different sizes would be needed as well. Not to say this isn't a good idea or that it couldn't be made to work but imo this is a much more complex undertaking than a blood bank.