Close

Best cheap 3D printer available that can be made with just by laser cutting.

I live in India, here I can get a total set of Prusa i3 for $500. But I want to get one 3D printer for the most value for price available in market. I am on a budget of $200.

I figured out that buying in a set costs more than to make some parts out and buying the other parts.

Prusa i3 contains a lot of 3D printed parts. Parts costs about $60 in my area.

Laser cutting can be done easily and are very cheap here. So are there any oper source 3D printer with mostly laser cut parts with no 3D printed parts (except the extruder).

I found the one named MakerBot Prusa i3v. But it got no layouts available (it is not open source). Anything similar to that?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimut View Post
    I live in India, here I can get a total set of Prusa i3 for $500. But I want to get one 3D printer for the most value for price available in market. I am on a budget of $200.

I figured out that buying in a set costs more than to make some parts out and buying the other parts.

Prusa i3 contains a lot of 3D printed parts. Parts costs about $60 in my area.

Laser cutting can be done easily and are very cheap here. So are there any oper source 3D printer with mostly laser cut parts with no 3D printed parts (except the extruder).

I found the one named MakerBot Prusa i3v. But it got no layouts available (it is not open source). Anything similar to that?

There's the whole assembly of ultimaker on grabcad, you can download it anddo a laser cut of it.
    Rostock Max V2 also, but it's too bolt, nut, screw dependent...

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    How about a recommendation for a Laser Cutter?

You can laser cut the frame of the makerbot replicator from 5.5/6mm plywood using the designs on Thingiverse, apart from the extruder carriage, X axis mounts and Z arms. The rest is hardware.

I did this to build mine - well, I actually cnc'd it but same principle. I also redesigned the carriage, X axis arms and Z arms to be CNCable, which you can probably laser cut, apart from the linear bearing slots which you might have to re-think. I can send you the files if you like.
    I also made it taller, which is a bonus!
    Last edited by whythelolface; 01-23-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Just spotted this Lultzbot TAZ 4 on GrabCad. Solidworks format. Was only posted about a week ago (Jan 14th).

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    Just spotted this Lultzbot TAZ 4 on GrabCad. Solidworks format. Was only posted about a week ago (Jan 14th).
    wow, that's incredible. Great find.
    The TAZ4 is a great machine

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    Can you supply a link of a laser cutter that would be a good candidate for home use or projects like you mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by whythelolface View Post
    You can laser cut the frame of the makerbot replicator from 5.5/6mm plywood using the designs on Thingiverse, apart from the extruder carriage, X axis mounts and Z arms. The rest is hardware.

I did this to build mine - well, I actually cnc'd it but same principle. I also redesigned the carriage, X axis arms and Z arms to be CNCable, which you can probably laser cut, apart from the linear bearing slots which you might have to re-think. I can send you the files if you like.
    I also made it taller, which is a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by kennycoulter View Post
    Can you supply a link of a laser cutter that would be a good candidate for home use or projects like you mentioned?
    I didn't laser cut mine, I cut mine with a cnc router. I don't know much about what laser cutters are out there i'm afraid apart from what's on ebay

Laser Cutting and Engraving Machine try it.