Close

Looking for Help With Electronics

So I am building a 3D printer for my university capstone project. My professor wants a Delta 3D printer. So I have it designed and ready to order all the parts except for one thing holding me back, ELECTRONICS! So I don't really know which board to buy. I would not be having this issue if it was a conventional printer but the Delta 3D printer as you know, is different. I was planning on getting this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A263MDWZG9KD7H
    But how would I set up the software. I think I can use repetier but do they have a setting for Delta printers? I'm just lost on the electronics / drivers / software part of this build. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Senior Engineer
    Do not buy Geeetech. Their technical support sucks and their boards are not as per the schematics you find on reprap.

Go with the standard ramps and Marlin. Will cost you about £20 on aliexpress for the lot including LCD and stepper drivers. It works well with Delta printers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Do not buy Geeetech. Their technical support sucks and their boards are not as per the schematics you find on reprap.

Go with the standard ramps and Marlin. Will cost you about £20 on aliexpress for the lot including LCD and stepper drivers. It works well with Delta printers.
    So Something like this ?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...487027133.html
    I'm reading the description and it's just as simple as wiring up the motors and endstops and going? I mean the drivers are installed already? What about firmware? Sorry can do mechanical but have trouble with electronics and software.

Senior Engineer
    Yup, that will be perfect. Consider how you are mounting it and decide if the LCD / control buttons / SD slot are positioned as you would like them before you buy it. You may prefer a graphical LCD or a separate SDcard slot but basically it is what you need.

You will have to learn how to use Arduino in order to put the firmware on even if you buy one that is already programmed it is unlikely to suit your particular build and you will need to calibrate things and make small changes.

Alright, that sounds good to me, anyone know the power input for this? would this suffice?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2CPA6D5BRLY2Y
    thanks again for all your help!

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Another good delta firmware out there is from 'Repetier', its what I use in my printer. As for the power supply; make sure it meets the voltage requirements of your stepper motor. Also be sure that your stepper motors don't draw more amperage than the drivers can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by GOC View Post
    Another good delta firmware out there is from 'Repetier', its what I use in my printer. As for the power supply; make sure it meets the voltage requirements of your stepper motor. Also be sure that your stepper motors don't draw more amperage than the drivers can handle.
    This is why I came here lol. I thought Repetier was the software used on the PC, not firmware. They have something I can load onto the arduino?

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    They sure do, you can get the firmware HERE on GitHub. Installation instructions are towards the bottom of the page.

Its supports the following hardware (defined with setting code):

MEGA/RAMPS up to 1.2 = 3
    RAMPS 1.3/RAMPS 1.4 = 33
    Azteeg X3 = 34
    Gen6 = 5
    Gen6 deluxe = 51
    Sanguinololu up to 1.1 = 6
    Sanguinololu 1.2 and above = 62
    Melzi board = 63
    Gen7 1.1 till 1.3.x = 7
    Gen7 1.4.1 and later = 71
    Teensylu (at90usb) = 8 // requires Teensyduino