Close

Threaded View

Exclamation Input Request -- 3D Printer for long term use

Hello everyone,

I am a member of an organization that is seeking to do some high resolution prints over the upcoming year. We are currently in the selection process of a suitable printer and we would like to get some input from the community.

So here's what we're looking for.

These are the ideals we're looking for:

~ 25 x 25 x 25 cm
    Heated platform
    Layer resolution <= 100 microns
    Nozzle <0.4 mm diameter
    ABS Plastic (preferred, PLA if it's a good printer
    Must be able to to do 100% infill. NO HOLLOW CAVITIES.
    Must be sturdy!!
    NO OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE.
    NO CLOUD BASED SOFTWARE.
    Plastic parts are considered a negative.
    Good customer support and service (warranties) are considered a HUGE plus to us.

Price <= $4000

We expect to use the printer 3-5 times a week and the largest print we would perform would take about 55 hours continuously (a helmet design) and the average print would take 3-5 hours.

Our current pick is the MakerBot Replicator 2X but we have no information about it's lifespan. My colleagues are concerned that we could buy it and have it die 6 months down the road. If anyone has any experience in using this printer every day over a long period of time, I would very much like to speak with you about your experience. (https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x) Obviously with this printer we would make our helmet design in two pieces (which we are okay with)

If there are any other printers that the community is fond of I would greatly appreciate your input as well, as we are open to other suggestions.

I thank you all for your input.
    Last edited by higgs; 01-14-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added budget.