Close

Cracking on large prints only

I am getting cracking on large prints only

Can I get advice on what to change, I tried different infills and seems the more the infill the worse.
    It got a little better with lower layer height but I really don't want to go down to 0.1 as it will take to long, I want to make several.

Creator Pro

ABS - BuMat
    I don't want to use PLA if possible

Infill 20%
    Shells 2
    Layer Height: 0.22
    Temp 230
    Bed: 110

Extrude 60 mm/s
    Travel 80 mm/s
    Last edited by gencode; 01-12-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Heres a pic, it had an acetone bath but happened before the bath
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's abs.
    basically it shrinks, which creates the cracks.
    2 things to try. print slower and lower resolution 0.3 rather than 0.2 and try less infill. The infill also shrinks which pulls the sides in and cracks the layers.
    So 40mms print speed and between 5 & 10 % infill. Hollow with 3 shells if you can get away with it.
    Less infill should counteract a slower print speed so the overall print time should be the same.
    Also a lower print temp - say 225 or 220, will help if the filament will print at it.

Used to get it a lot with abs. never had it with pla.
    I guess the acetone smoothing is your objection to pla ?
    fair enough :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    it's abs.
    basically it shrinks, which creates the cracks.
    2 things to try. print slower and lower resolution 0.3 rather than 0.2 and try less infill. The infill also shrinks which pulls the sides in and cracks the layers.
    So 40mms print speed and between 5 & 10 % infill. Hollow with 3 shells if you can get away with it.
    Less infill should counteract a slower print speed so the overall print time should be the same.
    Also a lower print temp - say 225 or 220, will help if the filament will print at it.

Used to get it a lot with abs. never had it with pla.
    I guess the acetone smoothing is your objection to pla ?
    fair enough :-)
    Okay, thanks, well I like the look I can get acetone vapor bath and can't do that with PLA as far as I read so thats why I want to use ABS if possible. I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice.

Ed,