Close

High School Student Building Espresso Machine

Hey! I'm a sophomore in high school on the east coast, and I've been building an espresso machine for a couple of months now. This is not you average coffee maker or pod machine, but a professional caliber machine for home use. I'll attach some links bellow if you are interested in every itty bitty detail (or I can go into detail here if you'd like), here I'll try to give a short summary. For the brains, I'm using arduino. I actually had never done any coding before, so teaching myself C++ was a big part of the planning process , but with a little initial help from someone on the Arduino forums, I ended up with a pretty solid program. Connected to the arduino, I have various buttons, a LCD display, mag-drive gear pump from fluid o tech which I can control with PWM from the arduino, solenoid valve, a bunch of relays (both mech and solid state for my boiler PID) and of course, a 1700 watt boiler. I've built a frame out of aluminum angles, which I riveted together, and for my grouphead, I am using a vibieme E61 manual unit.
    Now, where does the 3D printing come in? Well, I have a number of strangely shaped parts and a relatively small space to work in. So, I designed a bracket to hold my boiler, fill pump(to fill the boiler from the reservoir) and brew pump. Ideally, the piece would be made out of ABS for its durability, especially in high temperature environments. However, I do plan on wrapping the boiler in insulation, so it can be used with other plastics. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a 3D printer, and I have tried everything (local schools, universities, fab-labs etc.). I really can't afford to pay ~$80 for it, my project has already REALLY blown my budget (like really REALLY blown the budget, but at a certain point, you just can't stop right?). I was hoping that the vast community on here might be able to help me out with either printing or at least advice to cheaper methods. I will attach my 99% completed design.
    Thanks, Ethan

links:
    HB Forum Post
    My Website (which I haven't posted on in weeks )
    Attached Files Attached Files