Close

Thread: Cura config

Engineer

Cura config

Im trying out Cura for the first time

I think ive got it setup fine
    but it sure feels like its printing faster compared to slicer
    with same speed settings

I have been using Cura also because slic3r often gave me troulbe slicing models that Cura has no issue with. I have also noticed that cura seems to move a lot faster, in fact I often have to significantly slow down the feed rate to get nice prints. Not the biggest deal in the world, I've added it to the list of things to experiment with but I have bigger fish I want to fry for right now.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Of course, print speeds and travel speeds are settings in both slicers. Assuming they're set the same, however, part of what both of you are seeing as faster printing is likely the fact that Cura isn't doing near as many non-printing moves. Every one of those extra moves adds time, especially after factoring acceleration and deceleration for them, and retractions for them if they're required.

Take the same model and slice in both. Then use a gcode viewer like http://gcode.ws/ to view each file. Scroll through the print layer by layer. You might be quite surprised at how much more complicated Slic3r makes the route planning.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Of course, print speeds and travel speeds are settings in both slicers. Assuming they're set the same, however, part of what both of you are seeing as faster printing is likely the fact that Cura isn't doing near as many non-printing moves. Every one of those extra moves adds time, especially after factoring acceleration and deceleration for them, and retractions for them if they're required.

Take the same model and slice in both. Then use a gcode viewer like http://gcode.ws/ to view each file. Scroll through the print layer by layer. You might be quite surprised at how much more complicated Slic3r makes the route planning.
    Kevin do you know if the newer versions of Slic3r are any better at that? I see there is a new 1.2.5 experimental out now.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    Kevin do you know if the newer versions of Slic3r are any better at that? I see there is a new 1.2.5 experimental out now.
    No, I don't. The last I experimented with was v1.1.7.

Senior Engineer
    I found Cura the best out of all the ones I tried but I can't get round the fact that holes are a lot on the small side as is any internal area.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 01-13-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I fond Cura the best out of all the ones I tried but I can't get round the fact that holes are a lot on the small side as is any internal area.
    What does this mean?