Close

Student

which belt types are good for 3d printing?

I know most printers use GT2 belts but some 3d printers like Solidoodle come with MXL belts and pulleys.
    Is one better than the other and is there a reason to switch?

Senior Engineer
    MXL will be technically more accurate but not enough to make it worth doing anything about it because there are a lot bigger sources for error than the belts.

Student
    Hi. Thanks. Can you please explain why it will be more accurate.

The reason I made this thread is someone else said this in my printer's forum:
    "Mxl belts aren't designed for linear motion. But rotation timing. GT2 belts are. The reason we have issues with the mxl belts is that there is a bit of give. We tighten them by stretching the belts with the tensioners. This distorts the belt teeth, altering contact angle with the pulleys. This tiny slip causes the lash problem."

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, good point but if you are using either within spec I think the point of stretch is not valid. If you are asking more of it than it is designed to give then maybe MXL will not behave as well under abuse and it is a lot weaker than GT2.

My thinking was just that it is smaller and thinner with circular teeth. This means that as it moves around the pulley the distance from centre of pulley to the belt does not vary as much with MXL as it will with GT2. If you visualise a big link chain and going round a pulley it is easier to see what I am talking about. As the links go round the chain link angle changes so the chain moves sideways a bit, that makes for inaccuracies with any system like this.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    The reason we have issues with the mxl belts is that there is a bit of give. We tighten them by stretching the belts with the tensioners. This distorts the belt teeth, altering contact angle with the pulleys.
    MXL defines the belt's dimensions. They can be made from a variety of materials with different properties. We use belts with kevlar.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I know most printers use GT2 belts but some 3d printers like Solidoodle come with MXL belts and pulleys.
    Is one better than the other and is there a reason to switch?

Found this pdf on timing belts, which seems to have everything you could ever want to know about timing belt profiles. It certainly has more than i ever wanted to know. Grabbed this excerpt:

"- On drives using a low installation tension, small pulleys, and light loads, the backlash of the GT system will be slightly better than the trapezoidal (MXL) timing belt system. However, with increased tension and/or loads and/or pulley sizes, the performance of the GT system
    becomes significantly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system.
    - The GT system is an extension of the HTD system with greater load-carrying capacity. HTD was developed for high torque drive applications, but is not acceptable for most precision indexing or registration applications. The HTD design requires substantial belt tooth to pulley groove clearance (backlash) to perform.
    - As smaller diameter pulleys are used, the clearance required to operate properly is increased. HTD drive clearance, using small diameter pulleys, is approximately four times greater than an equivalent GT timing belt drive.
    - The GT system's deep tooth design increases the contact area which provides
    improved resistance to ratcheting. The modified curvilinear teeth enter and exit the pulley grooves cleanly, resulting in reduced vibration. This tooth profile design results in parallel contact with the groove and eliminates stress concentrations and tooth deformation under load. The GT
    design improves registration characteristics and maintains high torque carrying capability."

Sounds like there are advantages to the GT design, not the least of which is reduced vibration.