Close

Noob Question...

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I've come seeking advice.

I must learn how to design 3d models to be printed. These models will be for inventions I'm creating that include micro controllers, sensors, step motors, tubes, etc.

I have a ton of photoshop and illustrator experience. But I need to learn a 3d design program that will allow me to create shapes, attach other shapes and connectors, add curves instead of 90 degree corners, and that kind of stuff.

What is the best software to attack?

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Blender for one and it's free...

The type of design work you seem to want to do indicates that you would be better off with a "ruler and compass" type CAD program rather than a modelling one like Blender.

Old Man Emu

One thing I had to relearn about making print type files. It seems to make a difference if the next bit of the item being created is pulled from an existing surface. Some how the slicer program realizes a magnet attached part is not manifold and will toss my work.

The program I have been messing around with is Cubify Invent ($49 to register) that does have a export to stl file.

Student
    "Cubify Invent" great program and is but a part of a family of software all blended together. Once you get the feel and ease of Invent, you jump to Designer if you need parametric input or jump to Sculpt if you need the artsy stuff. But I love Invent, I have thousands invested in high end graphics software and Invent is by far the best $49 I have spent in years! No affiliation, just a huge fan. Russ