Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    how much infill are you guys generally using for your final parts? and how many outlines?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    strongest part I've made to date is 60% infill with makerware.
    It's a handle for an electric sweeper and it takes a fair bit of hammer.

I did try variable infill with simplify3d - but the s3d infill just isn't strong enough. Guess I should have gone 100% infill for 3 cm and then back to 30% - but was just easier to bang thr whole thing out at 60% with makerware.

Longest was a mistake. Giant stanford bunny. Took 18 hours at 0.1mm layer and 10% infill. My original intention was to print it hollow at 0.4mm to see how fast I could print a big bunny for airgun target practice.
    But when you go fora custom profile in makerware - it resets every setting, and at that point in time - I did not know this :-)
    Left the bloody thing running overnight anyway.

Haven't made that mistake again :-)

One thing I will say. If you're using abs and a raft, then don't expect to be able to get the raft off. Because the beds so hot and it's on the print for so long, it pretty much welds the raft to the base of the thing.

I'd print a part with minimal infill first, to get the dimensions right.
    It'll take FAR less time and distort less as well. Even if you have to print five of them to get it right it'll still use less plastic than 100% infill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12