Close

Connectivity Issues with Makerbot Desktop

In order for Makerbot Desktop software to connect to my Flashforge Creator Pro over the usb cable, I have to physically unplug the cable and plug it back in each time. This process is starting to get old and I was wondering if anyone has run into this same issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike H.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's what I do. takes about half a second.
    The other way is to switch the printer off and on again. That works as well.

You have to remember that we're dealing with a serial connection over a usb emulator. It was never going to be brilliant.
    Not sure why you can't have full spec usb connection - there's probably a good reason. I just don't know what it is :-)

I use a short usb extension cable (probably came with awireless usb stick) from the computer usb port. So the actual connection is just in front of my keyboard - halfway between the computer and printer. Means I can unplug and re-plug with one hand. No hassle.

Printing with a desktop 3d printer is still all about compromise and individual customisation.
    The most useful thing we did was to fit a front on/off switch.
    Why flashforge put it at the back, I don't know. But it's way more useful on the front of the machine :-)

I had the same issues until I figured out that you can go up to services in Makerbot and click "restart background service" and then your computer should recognize without having to reconnect the usb or turn it on and off.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    i haven't had mine connected to a computer for 3 months. Just use the SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog125 View Post
    I had the same issues until I figured out that you can go up to services in Makerbot and click "restart background service" and then your computer should recognize without having to reconnect the usb or turn it on and off.
    This worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for the input.