Close

Technician

Trouble printing a mask

I'm probably making a simple mistake with this project, but so far I can't figure out how to do what I want to do. See the attached STL. I started with a 3D scan of a person's head. I then used Meshmixer to cut out the precise section of the face I wanted for printing (the attached STL). Apparently the way I did this wasn't proper because it's causing me all sorts of problems trying to prep it for printing. Meshmixer and Netfabb tell me I have holes in the mesh, but when I try to auto fix them major parts of the model disappear. My intent is to print this exactly like a thin mask. I don't want to fill in the back part of the mask. I'm guessing there must be a simple way to do what I want. I thought some of the experts here might be able to save me hours of troubleshooting by offering some tips. Thanks!

mask.stl

Technician
    I seem to have figured it out on my own, although it's more a workaround. Simplify3D has what is called "vase mode" which allows me to force a 0% infill. If I print the entire 3D head in this mode, then I can use a pair of scissors afterwards to cut out the section of the head I want for the "mask." Seems to work pretty well, but unfortunately it's time consuming because I have to print the entire head instead of just the section of the face I want. Perhaps I'll find something faster in the future.

Most any print software has vase mode these days. I know Cura has it. Just have to turn off the infill. Also if it is too flimsy, increase the shells.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well all I can say is the stl imports into makerware without any problems.

How big should it be ?
    The stl file is only 18mm at the widest point.
    Currently printing a project - but I'll have a go at the mask after. Apart from the thinness of the part, can't see any obvious problems.

Lmao - okay ran a print preview:

Yeah i can see one or two issues there.

I'll run the file through the fixer-uppers in s3d later - but there's definitely major problems with the mask making process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-03-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Okay s3d pretty much identifies the entire thing as a non-manifold surface.
    Looks like you need a better way to cut the mask out.
    Not a clue how you'd do that. sorry.

Ok, you have your 3d scan of the person's head...

1. Import it in to Blender
    2. Duplicate it
    3. Make the duplicate say... 97% of original size
    4. Put duplicate inside of original (center it, of course)
    5. Select larger head - Add Modifier - Boolean - difference
    6. Delete the smaller one (you now have a hollowed out head)
    7. Using Blender, make a cube that is larger than the head
    8. From the back of the head, bring the cube forward until only the part of the head remains that you want to use for the mask
    9. Select head - Add Modifier - Boolean - difference
    10. Delete the cube

Now all that's left is the mask. If you want eye holes done, do the same Boolean - difference thing with a couple of small spheres where you want the eye holes...
    Last edited by ssayer; 01-03-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added select head - since this is probably new to you - so that the right area gets modified