Close

Technician

power supply getting louder and louder suddenly

The power supply on one of my Creators has suddenly, over the past two or three days, started making a louder and louder humming noise. This is actually my newer Creator, but both of them run 10-12 hours a day. I think I saw a thread about this issue some time ago but I can't find it right now. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Perhaps a sign the power supply is about to give out? Thus far there haven't been any problems with prints, just the annoying loud noise.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by roykirk View Post
    The power supply on one of my Creators has suddenly, over the past two or three days, started making a louder and louder humming noise. This is actually my newer Creator, but both of them run 10-12 hours a day. I think I saw a thread about this issue some time ago but I can't find it right now. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Perhaps a sign the power supply is about to give out? Thus far there haven't been any problems with prints, just the annoying loud noise.
    It's not the power supply. It is a fan inside that cools the main control board. It is mounted too close to the casing and vibrates the hell out of it. It sits around the middle of the machine, underneath. Put some foam in between the fan housing and the underneath of the base of the machine.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep. What geoff said.
    The other thing to bear in mind with cooling fans is that you only need to worry when they STOP making noise.
    This is normally because they've stopped going round.

Technician
    Thanks to the both of you. I'll give that a try.

Small 24V fans running out of 24V screams like a pigs. Vibration isolation is one part of how to deal with excessive noise. You may try to reduce voltage to say 17V by using resistor (around 100Ohm). This will cut fan's noise drastically still maintain enough rpm to push air around.

PS: this also will increase fan resource. Also, check the fan bearings, it might need to get some grease.