Close

Will This Print? (Pictures)

Toolpath 1.jpgToolPath2.jpg Im not printing exactly that, im gonna center the top and but I wanted to know if it would actually print the rod at the top without it like bending down and falling in the process, pluse the gap at the first picture, I tried so hard but I cannot fix it, it is slightly touching the base at one corner, but not much after that, so will that print the same angle as it says in the print preview? I am using sketchup and makerware as the software and replicator 2 is the printer. Thanks in advance.

Staff Engineer
    It will definitely need support to print on a FFF machine.

huh? what does that mean....sorry im a student trying to finish a huge project, still kinda new to 3d printing

He means that when you run your stl file through your slicer program, you have to tell the slicer to prop up the object where it overhangs and there is nothing between the object and the print bed. The software will generate support structures similar to scaffolding on a building so that the overhanging parts of the object don't slump down.

What slicing program are you using? If you let us know, we can post some screen shots so that you get the idea.

Old Man Emu

Engineer
    For a starter, basically no, even support, the texture will be horribly that you will need extra time to polish the bottom.

What you can do is split the parts and glued them together, especially for the second picture. Texture will look much better and smooth if you can divide the print instead shooting the whole at once.

Anything can be printed. Yet the scale is what matters here. How big of a print is this? If it is tiny the glue method is recomended. If that wing that protrudes to the side is 4 inches long with a half inch chord (thickness of the wing) it could be printed with supports. More info is needed. To me it looks like a lopsided hood ornament and may need some restructuring to be able to endure the wind loading of freeway speeds.

To answer your question, yes it can be printed. Yet maybe not with out more info. I dont suppose you would be willing to share the STL file? Presuming it isnt classified.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    It also looks to me like the bottom plate is part of the print. I would think that is not a desired result.

But assuming you center it correctly, remove the bottom plate, lose the gap under the wing, and orient it correctly... depending on the printer, you might even be able to print it as is without support. Have it laying flat on its back (or front, whichever way the vertical struts would be level with the build plate, and the wing pointed near vertical), the resulting overhangs MAY not be so severe that it requires support. I know my printer (a lowly Davinci) could probably handle the wing itself if it was oriented vertically (ie pitched forward so the leading edge is either the bottom or top layer), and then depending on how the struts are attached, might be able to get away with printing those too. But if you can orient it so the wing doesn't need support, but one side of the struts may, that should be a reasonable object to print.

Of course, it's very difficult to tell seeing this piecemeal, a finished design would be easier to determine.