Close

Filament weight length *confused*!?

Makergeeks.com is advertising a sample pack of 5 different PLA/ABS colors at 10m a color.

1. How can I figure out how much I can print with 10m?

2. Roughly how long is a 2.2lb spool in meters?

3. Is 50m/$30 (1.66m/$1) worth it?

4. How does ultra PLA compare to PLA?

Well you can calculate that with Cura.
    It can aprox estimate how much fillament you will need for a object that you have put in the slicer program (cura).

I thought 1 kilo was 113-120 meters long.

I never used Ultra PLA so i aint sure whats great about it realy.

I would say Makergeeks are rather expensive, since the spools i buy are aprox 20 euros (8 euro shipping) (aka 28 US dollars without the shipping included)

So in short i would say to just get a normal spool for 5 bucks more that contains x2.4 more plastic, or if you would realy like the extra colors to see what you would like to print with.

As meters go this is also all IF you are using 3mm spools.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well you can calculate that with Cura.
    It can aprox estimate how much fillament you will need for a object that you have put in the slicer program (cura).

I thought 1 kilo was 113-120 meters long.

I never used Ultra PLA so i aint sure whats great about it realy.

I would say Makergeeks are rather expensive, since the spools i buy are aprox 20 euros (8 euro shipping) (aka 28 US dollars without the shipping included)

So in short i would say to just get a normal spool for 5 bucks more that contains x2.4 more plastic, or if you would realy like the extra colors to see what you would like to print with.

As meters go this is also all IF you are using 3mm spools.
    makergeeks offer free shipping, this should help offset the costs when comparing to a website that charges for shipping.

im currently installing cura to see if I can get a better idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
    makergeeks offer free shipping, this should help offset the costs when comparing to a website that charges for shipping.

im currently installing cura to see if I can get a better idea. Thanks!
    Ye then it is quiet a reasonable price,
    Even though others are cheaper if there quality makes up for it, it shouldnt a deciding factor.

But i would kinda recommend just to buy a full spool kinda, Its hardly more money afterall and you get alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Ye then it is quiet a reasonable price,
    Even though others are cheaper if there quality makes up for it, it shouldnt a deciding factor.

But i would kinda recommend just to buy a full spool kinda, Its hardly more money afterall and you get alot more.
    My original post mentioned the sample pack of colors. They also have a filament pack...

• 3m of smartABS (low warp) Filament
    • 3m BendLay Filament - Glass Clear& Flexible Filament
    • 3m of Thermochrome EcoPLA� (Color Changing Filament)
    • 3m of t-glase PETT 3D Printer Filament - Clear, Strong & FDA Approved
    • 3m of LayBrick (printable sandstone / brick filament - Sandstone in color)
    • 3m of LayWoo-D3 (printable wood filament / looks like pressed wood)
    • 3m of Flex EcoPLA (soft / flexible PLA Filament / soft rubber like filament in texture)
    • 3m Taulman 618 Structural Nylon (milky white semi-flexable filament)
    • 3m PET (strong printable crystal clear / glass like filament)

3m seems pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
    My original post mentioned the sample pack of colors. They also have a filament pack...

• 3m of smartABS (low warp) Filament
    • 3m BendLay Filament - Glass Clear& Flexible Filament
    • 3m of Thermochrome EcoPLA� (Color Changing Filament)
    • 3m of t-glase PETT 3D Printer Filament - Clear, Strong & FDA Approved
    • 3m of LayBrick (printable sandstone / brick filament - Sandstone in color)
    • 3m of LayWoo-D3 (printable wood filament / looks like pressed wood)
    • 3m of Flex EcoPLA (soft / flexible PLA Filament / soft rubber like filament in texture)
    • 3m Taulman 618 Structural Nylon (milky white semi-flexable filament)
    • 3m PET (strong printable crystal clear / glass like filament)

3m seems pretty short.
    Can you even print all of them? since some of em need a higher temp if i remember correctly (260-280c)

Engineer
    he can print pretty much everything on that list with an m2 no problem. there isnt anything quite that high a temp on there. 240 maybe the highest.

aev, if you look around on makergeeks, scroll to the bottom of some of the pages and it has the length chart for pla and abs for spools. also if your new at printing your not going to want to start right off the bat with all these exotic filaments. your gonna pull your hair out. your m2 will come with a roll of pla. use that to get the process down then once you got it nailed move to abs then some exotics. all those are cool but its gonna take some time for you learn printing, the software, learn the m2 and each material.
    Last edited by jimc; 12-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    he can print pretty much everything on that list with an m2 no problem. there isnt anything quite that high a temp on there. 240 maybe the highest.

aev, if you look around on makergeeks, scroll to the bottom of some of the pages and it has the length chart for pla and abs for spools. also if your new at printing your not going to want to start right off the bat with all these exotic filaments. your gonna pull your hair out. your m2 will come with a roll of pla. use that to get the process down then once you got it nailed move to abs then some exotics. all those are cool but its gonna take some time for you learn printing, the software, learn the m2 and each material.
    Good point. Ill take a look at the chart.