Close

Have a problem with my new Prusa I3

Hi Everyone!

I have a newbie problem in my hands and don't know how to tackle it. After I finish the assembly of the machine (Prusa mendel I3) I went ahead and print a calibration cube (2x2x2) but when the printing was done I end up with cube with half of the structure shifted to one side, I thought it was a first print error so I print it again and the result was a half cube with the same mistake only shifted to the other side. What it could possibly be causing this error?

I've already have the machine calibrated (bed, Z axis, extruder, the whole shabang)

Attachments:

Complete cube: First print - Shifted Right
    Half cube: second print - Shifted Left

2014-12-26 16.23.25.jpg 2014-12-26 21.40.13.jpg

The first thing to check is the tension on your X and Y axis belts, but before you do that, go over the whole printer and tighten all the nuts and bolts.

There's probably nothing faulty with the printer. Just too much haste to get your Christmas present up and running

Please tell us what make and model printer it is.

Old Man Emu

Either your X or Y is skipping steps in one direction. It may be binding or slipping in one direction of travel. With the printer switched off, check the free movement of the bed and the X carriage by hand. As OME says, check for loose belts / nuts / bolts. Pay special attention to the pulleys on the stepper motors.

Check for overheating, as an overheated stepper motor or driver can cause missed steps, although this is more likely to cause problems in both directions of travel, not just one.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - If tightening the belt tension doesn't help also try slowing the print down below 40mm/s and see how it prints. If you attempt to print faster than your machine can handle it can also cause a similar issue.

You might want to check the voltage on your stepper drivers? Are your stepper motors getting too hot to touch while printing?

Well it seems that I sorted that out. After checking the belts and nuts (Everything was tight and secured) it turn out to be the spool holder. It was at the top of the frame and it was acting like a weight going to the back of the machine. Thanks to everyone who answer the topic

PS: Sorry about my english, is not my native language

Quote Originally Posted by GhostLeague View Post
    Well it seems that I sorted that out. it turn out to be the spool holder. It was at the top of the frame and it was acting like a weight going to the back of the machine.
    PS: Sorry about my english, is not my native language
    I hate spools attached to the printer. Attaching them to the printer makes everything look neat and tidy, but it introduces problems. Just wait until you are near the end of he spool and watch the problems you have with filament twisting.

Don't worry about your grasp of English. We are very skilled in translating broken English. We only seem to have trouble with American

Old Man Emu