Close

Student

Upgrading a FlashForge Creator Dual-Extruder (original)

Hello,

I'm new to 3D printing (but not to 3D modeling) and just ordered a FlashForge Creator model for much less than it would cost to buy the latest version (Creator Pro).

My questions are:

Are there upgrade options for the model that I ordered so that I can benefit from the following new features offered in the Creator Pro:
    • warp-resistant 6.3 aluminum build platform
    • heat-resistant metal platform
    • improved (10mm) z-axis guid rod

Kapton tape vs. glass - I see that kapton tape is very expensive and have read some conflicting reviews on using glass instead of kapton tape. Any advise here is appreciated.

Some advice, or a re-direct to an existing thread would be great!

Thanks,
    Warkitteh

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the only thing I'd say is add your own build platform. I use a 3mm aluminium block attached to the opriginal with thin strips of kapton at the corners.

While it's possible you might get a flat plate out of the box. After a few heat/cool cycles the difference in expansion rates between the aluminium bed and steel screws will pretty much guarentee a buckled plate.

That and a cooling duct and fan for the print area are all I've done to improve printing.

We did add an on/off switch to the front of the machine. But that's just because reaching round all the time was pita.
    Just cut a hole and put new switch in - my mate did the wiring. The old switch is still there, just non-functional.

It's a pretty good machine :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Student
    Hey Curious, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll follow up with this post with some pictures of what I decided to do about the build plate. I know some machinist that can help me get a good, flat piece of better grade aluminum to fit the original.

My printer won't be here until next week, so I'm basically researching some things that will help get me set up for success.

Good to be connected with another FF owner. I'm sure I'll be picking some brains here!

Thanks again,
    WK

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Yep I get my plates from an aluminium fabrication company who's computers I look after. http://www.jskaluminium.co.uk/
    At the moment they owe me :-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Warkitteh View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to 3D printing (but not to 3D modeling) and just ordered a FlashForge Creator model for much less than it would cost to buy the latest version (Creator Pro).

My questions are:

Are there upgrade options for the model that I ordered so that I can benefit from the following new features offered in the Creator Pro:
    • warp-resistant 6.3 aluminum build platform
    • heat-resistant metal platform
    • improved (10mm) z-axis guid rod

Kapton tape vs. glass - I see that kapton tape is very expensive and have read some conflicting reviews on using glass instead of kapton tape. Any advise here is appreciated.

Some advice, or a re-direct to an existing thread would be great!

Thanks,
    Warkitteh

Do you need to add a geared stepper for the 10mm rod or do you think a normal one could handle it? ive done just about everything to my Flashforge (which has been a trusty if not noisy little box) but never thought about upgrading the Z rod, but it makes sense as even with the 8mm guide rods on either side, you do get a little bit of play if the rod is bent.. I can't see a 10mm threaded rod bending in a hurry.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Do you need to add a geared stepper for the 10mm rod or do you think a normal one could handle it? ive done just about everything to my Flashforge (which has been a trusty if not noisy little box) but never thought about upgrading the Z rod, but it makes sense as even with the 8mm guide rods on either side, you do get a little bit of play if the rod is bent.. I can't see a 10mm threaded rod bending in a hurry.

Hi Geoff, Per the FF website, only the 10mm rod itself is mentioned as an upgrade and not the motor assembly - "New heavy-duty (10mm) z-axis guide rod ensures steady and precise movement." Additionally, I only see one replacement part for this available in the FF store, and it offers no specs other than "Z Axis Motor that is specially designed for 3D printer model Creator" (Link here - FLASHFORGE Z Axis Motor).

Thanks for the thread that you started here - Lots of good stuff to help me get started. My printer arrives by this Wednesday!!!

WK