Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar

ABL problem - beckdac marlin branch/Roxy improvements - Y axis not moving during G29

Working on another i3v - Identical to my 8" except it's a 10", bought at the same time last summer. We were having problems with the G29 not working. When you run the g28, homes all axes normally. when running g29 directly after g28 using the pronterface terminal:

*x axis moves into position, but y axis stays at home position (Y0, where the probe points are at y50, 100 and 150 for a 9x9 grid in the firmware).
    *probes the 3 X coordinates given in the firmware but the y axis never moves. So it probes 9 times moving back and forth in a line at y0.
    *at that point the nozzle is still at y0 geographically but thinks it is at y150 per the LCD, where it would normally be at completion of successful ABL

Comments:
    *This firmware works correctly on my 8".
    * i checked the wiring, everything is identical. endstops are on the same ends, set up to home at the back right corner just like mine. bone stock i3V basically except the servo upgrade.
    *the 10" printer works fine and prints with fixed z endstop and stock firmware when flashed.
    *everything moves around fine under pronterface control.

We're stumped and appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Please post your Configuration.h file and the Marlin_main.cpp file that you are using.

What happens if you give it an M48 command?

results of m48:

>>>m48
    SENDING:M48
    M48 Z-Probe Repeatability test. Version 2.00
    Full support at: http://3dprintboard.com/forum.php
    Mean: 0.878600
    Standard Deviation: 0.001582
    echo:endstops hit: Z:0.88

it ran this where it happened to be at the time without moving xy.

config files attached. Thank you.

this firmware also has the problem that it always thinks it's starting from the offset dimensions from the z probe to the nozzle. Meaning when you home all axes the printer thinks it is at x31 y-7. can't figure that out either if you see something there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good! The M48 code is there. Try a: M48 L 10
    Does it move the X & Y ?

I'm taking a look at the configuration.h and Marlin_main.cpp now....

UPDATE: I looked at both Configuration. and Marlin_main.cpp. I don't see anything obviously wrong. What does the M48 L10 do? It would be best to move the nozzle to the center of the bed when you try it.
    Last edited by Roxy; 12-24-2014 at 03:07 PM.

ran m48 l10:

>>>g28
    SENDING:G28
    >>>M48 L10
    SENDING:M48 L10
    M48 Z-Probe Repeatability test. Version 2.00
    Full support at: http://3dprintboard.com/forum.php
    Mean: 1.603975
    Standard Deviation: 0.017307
    echo:endstops hit: Z:1.59

it did move in both x and y + and - from where it started near the middle of the bed.

OK, that is helpful to know. The reason I asked for this was both the G29 and the M48 use the same probe_pt() function to measure the bed. That function is told where it should make the measurement and moves the nozzle (probe) to the right spot to do that.

At worst case, we can add a few lines of debug code to figure out why it isn't moving the Y axis. But I suspect something simple is causing the problem. I have to run out the door, but we can continue this tomorrow.

tomorrow I am going to switch the ramps boards between the two machines and see if the problem moves. if it does, I'll contact Makerfarm about getting a replacement. I'll post up how that goes. Thank you.

Edit:
    transplanted my ramps board and the printer ran fine. so this appears to be hardware rather than software. Thanks for looking into it.

We still have the offset issue mentioned above even with a new abl probe offset measurement.
    Last edited by TopJimmyCooks; 12-25-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Technologist
    setting up a rambo board having this same problem

m48 makes Y move but from the looks of it only in a Negative direction tell it hits an endstop.

really need this working ?
    i have been over the code line by line I'm not seeing it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TechMasterJoe View Post
    setting up a rambo board having this same problem

m48 makes Y move but from the looks of it only in a Negative direction tell it hits an endstop.

really need this working ?
    i have been over the code line by line I'm not seeing it
    TechMasterJoe: Unless you have a real need to save (and modify) your configuration settings, it is best to turn off:

#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
    #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

But that issue aside, can you move the Y-Axis back and forth in Pronterface?

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    We still have the offset issue mentioned above even with a new abl probe offset measurement.
    TopJimmyCooks: a little while ago you had:

#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -5.57

Is that still accurate? Can you use Proterface to control your printer? Can you do a G28 followed by a M114 and tell us what it says.

But then... Do a G28 and carefully lower the nozzle by .1mm at a time until it is at the right height and do an M114 and tell us what that says?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast