Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is kinda off topic but still deals with the powerspec/flashforge but given the smallest layer height of 100 micron is it possible to produce an even thinner layer height if the bed is precisely calibrated and some changes are done in whatever slicer I use? I'm not looking for Ulitmaker's layer height but just something lower than 100 microns like 80 or maybe even 50.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I think you can input a lower value than .1mm, whether you like the results or not is a different story... The mechanics of the printer may not be up to the task of printing at that height. The nozzle builds up quite a bit of pressure and the lower height you go the more pressure is built up and it is more difficult for the stepper to push filament. Think of a garden hose and put your hand flat over the end at 1", then try at .5", then at .25. It gets more and more difficult, and the water squirts out further to the sides. At some point the stepper teeth are gonna start slipping and eating into the filament.

I print almost everything at .2mm and the quality is pretty good. If there are a bunch of small features I will go to .1mm, but this is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Not sure spec-wise, but Flashforge support is worth the price difference alone in my opinion.
    So, the Powerspec offers no support whatsoever? What about warranty? Flashforge's 3 mo. sounds pretty short as it is. I was kind of getting ready to pull the trigger on a Creator Pro (most likely) but am in no rush so I will look into the PS.

Technician
    I think that PowerSpec is the 'house brand' of the MicroCenter chain of technology stores. My original PS 3D-X came with a 180 day warranty. When the mainboard crisped itself after 90 days, they honored the warranty with no questions asked. As a matter of fact, since they didn't have that printer in stock, they let me do a warranty credit and a fresh purchase of a 3D Pro printer. I actually saved money, and bought the 2 year replacement plan with some of the difference in price.

MicroCenter treated me very well in support. They don't know much about the printers from a technology standpoint, but then, we have this forum for that.

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by ajperez View Post
    So, the Powerspec offers no support whatsoever? What about warranty? Flashforge's 3 mo. sounds pretty short as it is. I was kind of getting ready to pull the trigger on a Creator Pro (most likely) but am in no rush so I will look into the PS.
    The powerspec has a 180 day warranty so 6 months. But I should add today I just bought the Powerspec 3d pro from microcenter for $800 and let me say, AMAZING DEAL. It's the exact same thing as the flashforge creator pro. I highly recommend it. Once I got it out of the box within an hour I was printing. The bed was practically leveled and I just had to install the extruders and enclosure. Spent most of the hour trying to avoid using ReplicatorG but I had to anyway. Now I'm setting up slic3r and cura. Definitely look into the Powerspec. There's honestly no reason to spend $1300 on a flashforge when you can get the same things for $800

Sayer have you had any issues with the bracket in the back right of the machine that holds one of the motors? Iv only seen a few people say that theirs has broken over time and I'm curious if it's a week point that can be upgraded or replaced . Sorry to hijack the thread I can find out how to pm you while on my phones mobile version of this site

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm amazed at the truly crap warranties you get in the states.
    Over here in the uk it's 12 month minimum on all new electrical goods and in europe it's 3 years.
    The fact that you can still sell brand new stuff in the states with a 30 or 60 day warranty is ridiculous.

Anyway as to software. makerware 2.4 is pretty good software. I've never yet used the high, medium or low quality settings as they just don't set the right settings.
    Simplify 3d is good. But lacks decent dual extrusion support and the infill has no lateral strength - so is no good for parts that take stress.
    It does have some very good aspects - But for the forseeable future I'll be using makerware alongside s3d. And setting up each print with my own settings :-)

It's like microwaves - brilliant gadgets, as long as you never use any of the built in programs :-)
    Learn the machines capabilities and then use it properly :-)

It's like microwaves - brilliant gadgets, as long as you never use any of the built in programs :-)
    Learn the machines capabilities and then use it properly :-)

Wow! Thank you, great info you guys, I am so glad I did not get a Flashforge yet; might swing by a MicroCenter to check out the Powerspec options.
    And I just loved the quote above from curious aadvark. Sounds like good advice!

I picked up Simplify3D for my powerspec, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. The prints come out 10x better with ReplicatorG, and I'm not sure why. I've tried using the guides and changing the settings, but I just can't seem to find a satisfactory setting in S3D. I really kind of wish I hadn't spent the $140 on it. I was thinking the custom supports feature would be great, but I find myself not using it, because it doesn't print the supports exactly as pictured. I haven't tried makerware yet - does it work well with the powerspec printers?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    I picked up Simplify3D for my powerspec, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. The prints come out 10x better with ReplicatorG, and I'm not sure why. I've tried using the guides and changing the settings, but I just can't seem to find a satisfactory setting in S3D. I really kind of wish I hadn't spent the $140 on it. I was thinking the custom supports feature would be great, but I find myself not using it, because it doesn't print the supports exactly as pictured. I haven't tried makerware yet - does it work well with the powerspec printers?
    Post some pics. Know that the filament density is opposite from repg. The supports don't print in the grid shown, that is just where a support is going to be built. The "Prepare to Print" preview will show the exact support that will be printed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast