Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Flashforge Creator Pro vs PowerSpec 3d Pro??

I am currently looking for a 3d printer and originally I was looking at the Flashforge creator pro as it had what I needed, mainly the dual extruder, but just now I came across the Powerspec 3d pro from MicroCenter and it seems to be the same printer but just from a different manufacturer. The price on the powerspec is much less, 799$ according the email from microcenter but I'm not sure if lower price means less of a quality.

I've read but not sure if it true that the powerspec uses mk 8 extruder vs the mk 9 in the flashforge and the powerspec doesn't accept sailfish or gcode, is this true?

Does anyone have any input on the comparison between them?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by nsarzy View Post
    I am currently looking for a 3d printer and originally I was looking at the Flashforge creator pro as it had what I needed, mainly the dual extruder, but just now I came across the Powerspec 3d pro from MicroCenter and it seems to be the same printer but just from a different manufacturer. The price on the powerspec is much less, 799$ according the email from microcenter but I'm not sure if lower price means less of a quality.

I've read but not sure if it true that the powerspec uses mk 8 extruder vs the mk 9 in the flashforge and the powerspec doesn't accept sailfish or gcode, is this true?

Does anyone have any input on the comparison between them?
    It is still made by FlashForge. The only main difference is it has be reported the power supply isn't as strong as the Creator Pro. The power supply can be upgraded for far less than the difference between 799 and 1349 though.

Technician
    I have the PowerSpec, and I cannot find a single bit of difference between it and the Flashforge. All the little add-on doo-dads for the FF Pro work fine in my PS Pro. If it is not an old unit, it also comes with sailfish already installed, as far a I can tell. I think the primary difference is the paper sticker on the front that says PowerSpec.

I've been in this forum, treating the PowerSpec printers as just another Flashforge, and have not had a single bit of different behaviour.

I guess I'm waiting for that single bit of difference to come bite me in the butt, but I'm not very worried about it.

The PowerSpec doesn't come with the free starter rolls of filament.

Cheers,

John

Thanks! I think I'm going with the powerspec pro. And I'm assuming since the powerspec supposed uses MK8 extruders, I could buy the flashforge upgrade kit and use that since they're basically the same, right?

I guess I could also print the upgrade but just need to find what type of spring is needed.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by nsarzy View Post
    Thanks! I think I'm going with the powerspec pro. And I'm assuming since the powerspec supposed uses MK8 extruders, I could buy the flashforge upgrade kit and use that since they're basically the same, right?

I guess I could also print the upgrade but just need to find what type of spring is needed.
    Nothing wrong with Mk8 extruders, I still run one side of my original FF with a MK8 and the other side an MK9. They do flex filament much better than the mk9.

You know what I did when my spring sprung out and got lost? I used the spring from a retractable ball point pen. I just needed to cut the length down so when it was compressed it did not flop in half. Yep.. it provided enough push to grip the filament and I haven't changed it since. The spring ends sit in cavities, as long as the spring fits in there its cool. Most of my repairs have been made from using parts around the house... old laser copier rods (which happen to be 8mm and the perfect length for a flashforge X gantry...)
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    It is still made by FlashForge. The only main difference is it has be reported the power supply isn't as strong as the Creator Pro. The power supply can be upgraded for far less than the difference between 799 and 1349 though.
    I'd be interested to compare the model number of the power supply against the FF Pro. I haven't turned mine over yet to look. What's the model number of the PS in the FF Pro? I know (from troubleshooting my dear departed PS Creator X) that it's a 24V low-profile PSU that comes in a few different amperage ratings, but I don't remembe what that one used.

Cheers,

John

Engineer
    Not sure spec-wise, but Flashforge support is worth the price difference alone in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Not sure spec-wise, but Flashforge support is worth the price difference alone in my opinion.
    So, the Powerspec offers no support whatsoever? What about warranty? Flashforge's 3 mo. sounds pretty short as it is. I was kind of getting ready to pull the trigger on a Creator Pro (most likely) but am in no rush so I will look into the PS.

Technician
    I think that PowerSpec is the 'house brand' of the MicroCenter chain of technology stores. My original PS 3D-X came with a 180 day warranty. When the mainboard crisped itself after 90 days, they honored the warranty with no questions asked. As a matter of fact, since they didn't have that printer in stock, they let me do a warranty credit and a fresh purchase of a 3D Pro printer. I actually saved money, and bought the 2 year replacement plan with some of the difference in price.

MicroCenter treated me very well in support. They don't know much about the printers from a technology standpoint, but then, we have this forum for that.

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by ajperez View Post
    So, the Powerspec offers no support whatsoever? What about warranty? Flashforge's 3 mo. sounds pretty short as it is. I was kind of getting ready to pull the trigger on a Creator Pro (most likely) but am in no rush so I will look into the PS.
    The powerspec has a 180 day warranty so 6 months. But I should add today I just bought the Powerspec 3d pro from microcenter for $800 and let me say, AMAZING DEAL. It's the exact same thing as the flashforge creator pro. I highly recommend it. Once I got it out of the box within an hour I was printing. The bed was practically leveled and I just had to install the extruders and enclosure. Spent most of the hour trying to avoid using ReplicatorG but I had to anyway. Now I'm setting up slic3r and cura. Definitely look into the Powerspec. There's honestly no reason to spend $1300 on a flashforge when you can get the same things for $800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast