Close

Banned

Printer jamming, out of the blue!

Hey guys I need your help.

Printing PLA
    Cura slicer
    less then 50mm/s typically

I have a pretty generic printer, plastic scribbler asterid 2200.
    It is a great little printer but it has been jamming on me lately. Every print, about 15 minutes into the print the drive motor begins to cog and then BAM, failed print.

It feels as though the nozzle clogs itself up, because I can pause the print and I cant push filament through the hot end by hand. The filament just gets grinded up by the pinchwheel if i try to extrude using my interface.

So I pull the filament out mid print (paused) and I break the end off, and re-insert it. Lo and behold, clog is completely gone? Filament pushes through with two fingers of pressure, easy. Its almost like this is a ghost clog, it comes mid print and then goes away when I pause it and re-insert the filament.

I cleaned the hot end with music wire, I inspected every angle of this device and everything looks clear. I changed nothing about the printer, it has remained in operation for about a month with nearly flawless prints except for this one issue that just started 2 days ago.

I spoke to Tim the owner of plastic scribbler and he is very nice and is trying to walk me through this. Maybe you guys have some ideas.

Notes:

Direct drive extruder, uses all metal hot end.
    Print temp 220-235 depending what I am printing (I know this sounds high but Tim told me to run 235 because he knows his machines).
    Ran slightly cooler to see if heat is causing melted plastic to form inside the hot end, no success, same problem.
    I cleaned the pinchwheel, thought that could be it, no changes.
    Cleaned the nozzle with music wire, thoroughly, no long term clogs observed

Problem shows up predictably at the 15 minute mark of any print, the ghost doesnt care what I print.

Synopsis:

Mid print clog, I hear drive motor skipping (sounds like load on motor), pause print, break filament end off, re-insert, print resumes fine. Any ideas?

Thank you

Engineer
    I had the same symptoms with the stock Ultimaker V1.

Two causes I had was the extruder and the hotend. The hot end problem was the fact heat transfer was high enough to allow heat building past the inlet of the PEEK. Further, it has been reported several times that metal hot end suffer this problem more frequently. Therefore, some sort of fan dissipate the heat in the peek or aluminium barrel is a must.
    It also explain why the MakerBOT 5th gen hotend jammed that often. There was no active cooling on the aluminium finns. Heat build up and jammed your printer!!
    It also could be a problem inside your hot end. Some hotend have Teflon tubing to guide the filament. This can be a major pain, as the teflon wears out and shrink itself. Instead of acting like a seal, it act like an open valve, allowing melted plastic to jam your hotend.
    I'd like to see your hot end in detail? Can you take a picture and upload please?

The second major problem I had was the fact of a poor extruder gear mechanism, as the stock Ultimaker gear used friction instead of bearing. The friction drastically reduced the print potential and I have a jamming every 5-6 hours. The update to a bearing and gear mechanism allowed me sometime to print 15-16 hours before getting any trouble.

You have clean the printer it's a good but one time you check put printer in company or providing printing service man.

Banned
    Tim from plastic scribbler guided me through this issue. The issue was my first layer was too thin and it caused all consecutive layers to mash into eachother eventually causing a clog. The bed gap was too tight.